Bought my first Triumph ever... an '07 Rocket 3 with 100k on it and charging issues!

Well, it's all back together, but I'm not sure I'm done yet? I dropped the sump and cleaned the screens. Nothing significant. They've either been cleaned before or the bike just hasn't worn much internally. Got it all buttoned back up, it runs, and I think it charges but I'm not sure it's charging correctly. I don't have a baseline since I bought it as a non-charging bike. I put in the SH847AA regulator bought from RoadsterCycle so I know it's not a knockoff. I also installed a RoadsterCycle battery monitor LED which is why I'm now concerned. When I fired the bike up the battery monitor showed Amber which means unspecified issue. I checked the battery voltage and it's charging, but the voltage is very erratic. At idle it ranges anywhere from 13.2v-14.5v. I understand the new R/R unit is a series type so it's demand-based but I figured that was amps, not volts. Should the voltage be ranging so much? I'm contacting Jack since I bought the R/R and battery monitor from him and the battery monitor was also going crazy showing sometimes Amber (error), sometimes Green, and sometimes Red (not charging) even though the battery always showed within a 13.2-14.5 range. Has anyone who installed a series regulator experienced this same issue?

EDIT - I spoke with Jack at RoadsterCycle on the phone (surprised he answered on a Saturday evening) and he is concerned I have a leg on my new stator that is sporadically grounding out. That would be the worst. I'm going to go check a) the new harness from the R/R to the battery for good connections b) the 3 legs of the stator for ground path and voltage while running and c) plug in the old R/R and see what the voltage does. [sigh]
Got my fingers crossed for you brother. I know how your feeling.

I did not document
I am going to guess it was about 13.5 idleing and when u brought up the rpm
It jumped up to 14 4--14.7 but it was steady.
Have u disconected the rr and checked for grounds ?

Guess I musta got one of those "Friday afternoon" stators...
IMG_20210410_204847889.jpg

IMG_20210410_204948478.jpg

Whoever crimped on the plug of my new stator completely missed the conductor for Leg A. I have confirmed correct resistance between all three legs using this bare wire. I'm too beat to fix this tonight, but Jack at RoadsterCycle is positive this was my issue with erratic voltages. I'm probably going to cut this whole plug off assuming they did just as bad a job on the other two wires. Luckily my stator "super kit" came with this connector in case I was putting it on a bike that didn't already have the right plug...

I saw this thread at the beginning, but have not been here much lately, so just got caught up today. Nice write-up @JLeather and nice job getting your bike back to the point where it will give you some riding pleasure. Well done! @TURBO200R4 is a good guy to have around, no?

Yes, everyone has been extremely helpful.

I'm happy to report that after replacing the plug (on the brand new Ricks stator) the bike is now charging properly as per the manual test (2k rpm, 13.5-15v). I've only put a couple miles on it to check for leaks. Hope to get it out some this week, plus a state inspection.

Last edited:
Yes, everyone has been extremely helpful.

I'm happy to report that after replacing the plug (on the brand new Ricks stator) the bike is now charging at a rock-solid 14.5v regardless of engine RPM. I've only put a couple miles on it to check for leaks. Hope to get it out some this week, plus a state inspection.
Awesome to hear you saved her from the scrap heap. Hopefully you put another 100k on her.

Quick question. I cleaned up the shop last night and apparently I didn't reinstall one of the screen "retainers" in the oil sump (item #10 in this pic)

1618240022563.png

Is this a "stop what you're doing and pull the pan again" mistake or something I can just take care of next oil change? Also maybe since it's only been heat-cycled a couple times I might be able to take the pan back off without a new gasket?

Quick question. I cleaned up the shop last night and apparently I didn't reinstall one of the screen "retainers" in the oil sump (item #10 in this pic)

1618240022563.png

Is this a "stop what you're doing and pull the pan again" mistake or something I can just take care of next oil change? Also maybe since it's only been heat-cycled a couple times I might be able to take the pan back off without a new gasket?
I would not run the engine without the strainer. Even if the screen is in without the retainer it may not seal properly. It would be a possible self destruction as any debri will go straight into the oil pumps and the wreck the engine.
It needs to go in ASAP.

Back