Bought my first Triumph ever... an '07 Rocket 3 with 100k on it and charging issues!

My two cents
I once asked the questions does anyone know what the new measure ment is and never got an answer.
So its kind of hard to gauge the wear.
At 50,000 mine is at 23 and jims at
150,000 was at 24 and the inside guide
was wore till the chain almost disapeared.
So again i would recomend moving on
w/o chain/guides.
On the other hand while it is out u could check valve clearance and if to close clearance then pull cams and do tensioner and maybe chain

On Jims bike we were able using a vice and bars to bend back the crash bars.

I tried "massaging" the crash bars back into position but could not get satisfactory alignment with the floorboard bolt holes. Maybe if I was running pegs it would have been easier, but the alignment has to be really good to fit a bolt through both the crashbar and the floorboard mount. It was the tweaked crashbar that ruined the threads in one of the engine mounting holes and I was leery of any continued misalignment in that respect. Just have to not drop it :)

Last edited:
The spacer only creates more tension on the spring and does nothing for more travel on the adjuster.
Just saying.

Starting to look like a bike again. Front cover buttoned up, exhaust all back on. Waiting on a couple coolant hoses because I wasn't happy with how soft the old ones were, and also a new front tire (a Commander 2 140/75R-17 at the advice of the forum). Opted to just make a cam tensioner spacer and keep an eye (and ear) on the cam chains for later.

IMG_20210330_220407666.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it's all back together, but I'm not sure I'm done yet? I dropped the sump and cleaned the screens. Nothing significant. They've either been cleaned before or the bike just hasn't worn much internally. Got it all buttoned back up, it runs, and I think it charges but I'm not sure it's charging correctly. I don't have a baseline since I bought it as a non-charging bike. I put in the SH847AA regulator bought from RoadsterCycle so I know it's not a knockoff. I also installed a RoadsterCycle battery monitor LED which is why I'm now concerned. When I fired the bike up the battery monitor showed Amber which means unspecified issue. I checked the battery voltage and it's charging, but the voltage is very erratic. At idle it ranges anywhere from 13.2v-14.5v. I understand the new R/R unit is a series type so it's demand-based but I figured that was amps, not volts. Should the voltage be ranging so much? I'm contacting Jack since I bought the R/R and battery monitor from him and the battery monitor was also going crazy showing sometimes Amber (error), sometimes Green, and sometimes Red (not charging) even though the battery always showed within a 13.2-14.5 range. Has anyone who installed a series regulator experienced this same issue?

EDIT - I spoke with Jack at RoadsterCycle on the phone (surprised he answered on a Saturday evening) and he is concerned I have a leg on my new stator that is sporadically grounding out. That would be the worst. I'm going to go check a) the new harness from the R/R to the battery for good connections b) the 3 legs of the stator for ground path and voltage while running and c) plug in the old R/R and see what the voltage does. [sigh]

Last edited:
Back