Bought my first Triumph ever... an '07 Rocket 3 with 100k on it and charging issues!

It has begun... Fluids drained, radiator, back wheel, exhaust, and final drive off so far. I haven't found any threads detailing the "frame lift" method in terms of what must come off. I've seen people say the front fender and wheel must be removed, but it looks like there's a good bit of room with just the radiator out? Also all 4 engine bolts must be fully removed (per Prestaged's thread)? I know the swingarm, rear brake hard line, shifter linkage must come off yet.

Also, I'm trying to get some parts squared away while it's still being torn down. Is the stator housing sealed with a reusable gasket/o-ring or will I for sure need one of those? Also while the radiator is out I want to check the clutch and lifter. Is that gasket designed to be reused?

IMG_20210316_215839781.jpg
Ok at first since you are only 3.5 hours north of me I'll say I was hoping you'd put down the road. Upon a closer look I would say dude you got two engine lathes in your garage :D I'm drooling!! Oh nice bike I crumpled my 07 last year. Which was why I was hoping you world have decided its not worth it. :)

Ok at first since you are only 3.5 hours north of me I'll say I was hoping you'd put down the road. Upon a closer look I would say dude you got two engine lathes in your garage :D I'm drooling!! Oh nice bike I crumpled my 07 last year. Which was why I was hoping you world have decided its not worth it. :)
Lol, what can I say, I make poor decisions regarding motorcycles!

Well, that was unnecessarily difficult. I'd love to meet the guy that decided that the stator needed to be in the middle of the bike... I removed the oil pressure switch, both floorboards, the header (it was blocking one stator cover bolt), the swingarm, the tank (to get to the oil pressure switch), the gauges (apparently to get the tank off?). You can see the rotor puller I made from a piece of scrap 1 1/4" steel (it was a piece of unknown pedigree I'd apparently used as a drift at some point) and also the rotor holder I made. Stator seems like a crispy critter. I won't have my new stator cover gasket til Tuesday, but it was a productive Saturday.

Do I necessarily need to replace the exhaust gaskets since I removed the header? Seems to me like that might seal up again. Also what about the fuel pipe crush washers? Don't really feel like waiting another week to put this thing back together (my local dealer is closed Sun/Mon)?

Attachments

• IMG_20210320_212050485.jpg
    IMG_20210320_212050485.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20210320_210815670.jpg
    IMG_20210320_210815670.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210320_212020382.jpg
    IMG_20210320_212020382.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20210320_213027862.jpg
    IMG_20210320_213027862.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20210320_210819823.jpg
    IMG_20210320_210819823.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 55
Well, that was unnecessarily difficult. I'd love to meet the guy that decided that the stator needed to be in the middle of the bike... I removed the oil pressure switch, both floorboards, the header (it was blocking one stator cover bolt), the swingarm, the tank (to get to the oil pressure switch), the gauges (apparently to get the tank off?). You can see the rotor puller I made from a piece of scrap 1 1/4" steel (it was a piece of unknown pedigree I'd apparently used as a drift at some point) and also the rotor holder I made. Stator seems like a crispy critter. I won't have my new stator cover gasket til Tuesday, but it was a productive Saturday.

Do I necessarily need to replace the exhaust gaskets since I removed the header? Seems to me like that might seal up again. Also what about the fuel pipe crush washers? Don't really feel like waiting another week to put this thing back together (my local dealer is closed Sun/Mon)?
Great pictures and information, thanks.

Did you cut the thread on the rota puller yourself?

Back