Bollocks - Transmission failure.

Ok just noticing this and starting to read but part number T1260203 is just a rubber pad for absorbing shock its what fits under the chrome plate on the clutch cover, which you will not need to take it off the cover. So not needed. Oh and part number for lifter piece is correct. Really you should open her up as your steal might be fine as well as the fibers. But if you plan on refreshing the clutch then fibers and steels, cover gasketand, the new style lifter piece. Also your removing the clutch basket get a nut. This is a good time to verify which detent wheel you engine actually has. Since you won't or can't open her first lifter shaft is not to pricey. I have never had to replace the O-rings on the water pump. Mr. Hunt clued you in on making a clutch tool. Coming apart you won't need it if you have air and a impact wrench. To be honest I use the impact wrench to run it back up.

Now another push for opening her up first. Reason being what if your 08 is like the clutch video going around? You get all the parts and find out you have a 05 clutch like the 08 classic in the video. You stuck returning pieces and ordering different ones. And in 3 hours of wrenching you know what you have and need. In reality you could only need the spring, a new cover gasket, and the basket nut. After all its acting up I know you not riding it anyway!!!! RIGHT!!!!
Scott - Duly noted. Let surgery commence.
Adding nut, removing rubber thingy.

OKEY DOKEY- As I need to persuade Triumph Spain to sell me parts (the local dealer won't - yet!) - or will need to order elsewhere.

A plea to the R3 cognoscenti (esp the clutch master @warp9.9 ) to check my parts list - PLEASE.

VIN SMTTLC10359381271 - Supposedly a 2009 model - but from the ECU date of August 2008 it might be an early one.
Engine number 3372883

So as I see this

1) Remove radiator - No service parts. But I will fit SAMCO's - if SAMCO deem to reply.
2) Remove Water Pump - Service part - O-Ring O RING WATER PUMP SL 3600160T03 Replaces 3600160-T0301 - but I'll get a Seal, Water Pump Cover T3600161 too.
3) Remove front cover - Service part - Gasket, Clutch Cover T1260107.
4) Remove Clutch - Service part - WASHER ID 22 OD34 T1171282 Replaces T1170282 and WASHER "C" CLUTCH T1179999 Replaces 1170091-T0301 and NUT CLUTCH 22MM T1170106 Replaces T1170101

5) Detent Spring T1190086 (I will get a spare to have dimensioned locally) and just in case Spring, Gearchange Return T1190016, and E Circlip T3500044

6) Lifter Just in Case. Scott @warp9.9 help. (T1172023)

If anybody sees anything I have forgotten - please say.

Now a mini dilema. Special tool - Locking plate 3880025-T0301. Necessary?. If so Fowlers are saying it's not available. WoT list a tool - much cheaper too. Any other alternative?.

I am on the fence re friction plates and springs. I have no slipping, and I am reluctant to up the clutch pull really. BUT I never, ever, disregard advice.

Anybody know if MTC are available from a European (incl UK) dealer? - EBC plates any good? Stick with OEM?
Chris, From my experience and it would appear that @bigprop suffered the same problem, World of Triumph have a huge list of parts but not all are on the shelf. They'll take the order online and then fail to deliver any parts missing. Might be a wise move to contact them prior to placing an order - might get discount if you are especially nice on the phone :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Chris, From my experience and it would appear that @bigprop suffered the same problem, World of Triumph have a huge list of parts but not all are on the shelf. They'll take the order online and then fail to deliver any parts missing. Might be a wise move to contact them prior to placing an order - might get discount if you are especially nice on the phone :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'll order via Triumph Spain if I can. If needs be via my mate who has a Guzzi workshop (ime here - B2B works well). I called Triumph and asked if there is any restriction on parts order. Was told no, and to tell the Madrid dealer we'd spoken. But I'd rather not piss the dealer off.

My big worry was needing the clutch tool - but now I know EBC does one - I have no qualms at all. That and Barnett is a real option.

Fowlers list the ruddy detent Spring as "backordered" - Grrrrr . I will see if I can think around the issue too once the chest is opened - maybe I can think up a compression spring detent rather than the rather iffy tension system. Guzzi detent (compression) is almost 40 years old and works fine.

@idk - I'd forgotten it was there mate - Ta!.

Last edited:
So then. We have been busy. But I've stopped as it's lunch time and I need a windy tool from my neighbour to get the big 30mm nut off.
I feel old and weak today - bite me!.

The only PITA was the chrome water pipe which was a real bugger to get out. Just tight

Rad off - I'll ditch the coolant as some muck fell in the bucket. Cover off. Oil looks OK - it was changed in April.

DSCF0003.JPG

Lifter and shaft
DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0002.JPG
I'm no expert (@warp9.9 ) - but that looks like the pre updated one.
A little polishing/wear on the lifter arm.

Inside basket halves
DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0006.JPG
Only measured one friction plate so far - the innermost end one - 3.79mm
Steel plates look new.
The 5 basket bolts were actually on tighter than I expected - lightly more than tweaked.

So far no sign of any debris (including bits of spring).

...in the world of bigprop it's takes two hours to find the right size spanner:laugh::laugh:
My major delay was finding a lever to get the chrome pipe off - Oh and I had a mild panic when I thought I'd lost my alloy drift to get the case off.

:coffee:

So then. We have been busy. But I've stopped as it's lunch time and I need a windy tool from my neighbour to get the big 30mm nut off.
I feel old and weak today - bite me!.

The only PITA was the chrome water pipe which was a real bugger to get out. Just tight

Rad off - I'll ditch the coolant as some muck fell in the bucket. Cover off. Oil looks OK - it was changed in April.

DSCF0003.JPG

Lifter and shaft
DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0002.JPG
I'm no expert (@warp9.9 ) - but that looks like the pre updated one.
A little polishing/wear on the lifter arm.

Inside basket halves
DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0006.JPG
Only measured one friction plate so far - the innermost end one - 3.79mm
Steel plates look new.
The 5 basket bolts were actually on tighter than I expected - lightly more than tweaked.

So far no sign of any debris (including bits of spring).

My major delay was finding a lever to get the chrome pipe off - Oh and I had a mild panic when I thought I'd lost my alloy drift to get the case off.

:coffee:
Yes older lifter piece. Lifter shaft showing signs of burning which mean it has been metalurgically compromised. There pretty cheap like the lufter piece.

Not a good enough view to see the detent spring and you did not state if its broken. I guessing no? You should be able to see it with the basket on. But definelty with it off. And lets have a view of the detent wheel to see if its the updated smaller diameter roller bearing style with the short spring. (Number of coil wraps is different then the original. Of course 08 touring was the first to start suffering from breakage followed by all 09 rockets. Not saying anything just keeping track of things.

The chrome pipe just has a dry O-ring a straight screw driver and pop her out. Lube the O-ring before she goes in even if you just spit on it :)

A stuck cover sucks especially if you don't notice the tabs down by the water pum area for prying it loose. Like the ones Triumph designed on the sump pan :D

OH AND KEEP TRACK OF THE CORRECT ORIENTATION OF THE ANTI JUDDER SPRING AND SEAT!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back