Bluetooth-helmet communications

STRIPES

\\\STRIPES/// going to the HD shop.
Ride
06 R3 Std
I am anticipating my longest (both time and distance) ride that will take me away from my business. It is imperative that I field calls on a daily basis and will have to do it while riding. In the past, I have tried direct connection to the phone with little success. Too much wind noise. I have tried and used a Scala Cardo system with better success and less wind noise but it failed to work the second time I needed it for a trip.

I am wondering about a buying a helmet with blue tooth communications built into the helmet. Has anyone here gone this route? What kind of helmets and service experienced? It appears it is possible to buy a helmet with communications included for less than what a Scala system costs. Looks like a better route than trying to install the Scala to an existing full coverage helmet.

Comments about brands, service and experiences would be greatly appreciated. I am in a hurry as the trip is coming pretty soon and would have to get it ordered right away.

I planned a trip a few years ago with some family members to keep in touch while riding....As you mentioned the wind noise was over whelming...It simply didn't work for our group...We used the system with the scull microphone so as to keep the wind noise down.(don't recall the name)...
If I were taking a long trip, I would ride, take a pit stop and make my calls while on my break, it would only be an hour or two between calls....If it's a true emergency, the authorities will be looking for you.

I used the Scala G4 and now my wife and I have the G9 and my dad uses my g4. We've had GREAT success with the scala system, can talk at highway speeds (using full face helmets and a modular) and most people don't even know we are on the bikes. Plus, being connected to others in the group is a nice bonus as well. Dad is 67 and doesn't know how to work the remote to the TV well - he has learned the scala unit and uses if all the time for phone calls.

I planned a trip a few years ago with some family members to keep in touch while riding....As you mentioned the wind noise was over whelming...It simply didn't work for our group...We used the system with the scull microphone so as to keep the wind noise down.(don't recall the name)...
If I were taking a long trip, I would ride, take a pit stop and make my calls while on my break, it would only be an hour or two between calls....If it's a true emergency, the authorities will be looking for you.

You are probably right.

+1 I cannot think of anything as dangerous than riding and having the potential distraction of a business phone call come through. I do not say to set life aside - but keeping one's communications for breaks and pit stops is a very prudent idea.

Besides - I ride, in part - to clear my mind of those things - i don't want them intruding on the ride itself. Bad enough that I have to return calls on my stops.

I have a Zox helmet that has bluetooth comms that came with the helmet. The helmet works just fine, but I swapped it out for a Shark so that I could lift the visor and have a smoke while in the saddle. You are welcome to try it out on the trip to Florida if you like and if you like it we'll work something out. The helmet is a large

I will be following this thread with great interest, looking for the same set up that Ken is looking for, the scala set lasted me 2 trips and i had to scream my lungs out for my wife to hear me, the wind was louder than a fighter jet taking off:eek:

I've had phone conversations using both the Zox and the Shark and the other party never knew I was on a bike. Clear as a bell on both

Something doesn't sound right with those of you having an issue with the scale's. Were you using it with an enclosed full face or half-helmet?

I have found the installation of the speakers to be a little tricky. If you don't put them over your ears - the volume is reduced and much harder to hear. Likewise, the mic has to be right at your mouth to pick-up the best. I've spent hours and hours running mine and it's always worked great - except for one day it locked up and I had to let the batteries die to reset it on the G4 but that's been well over a year and working great still.

Well I have recently purchased a G9 set for Viv and I.
After a couple of outings we are getting used to it and I find it great.
Having a bit of a yarn while out and about is cool.
The two main phases out of my mouth are probably. "Slow the fcuk down or hurry the fcuk up" :)
The music side of things is awesome. I know some of you purists will say I just wanna hear my bike and or the wind but it doesn't have to be too loud and I can still hear what the bike is doing.
At the same time I bought a new helmet. Shoei GT Air.
This helmet is soo quiet compared to my last one and find myself telling Viv not to shout at me.
Took a bit of pissing around to get the speakers in the right place but all good now.
Not interested in making or receiving phone calls so have disabled that part.
Everyone having probs with wind noise I would say its 100% down to the helmet.

Back