Bluetooth-helmet communications

I seldom make product recommendations (because most things are crap), but in this case I can say I'm very happy with my uClear HBC100. I did a lot of "opinion reading" before purchasing it, primarily to listen to music from my iPhone. I tend to ignore calls, but if I'm expecting one I simply have to say "Hello" and it turns off the music and answers the phone. It resumes music where it left off when call is over. It's advertised as "wind filtering" (noise suppression?) to 238 Km/h. The few people I've talked to while riding couldn't tell I was riding. I use a full face flip-up helmet, so there's more noise than a standard full face, but doesn't effect the unit much. It also does auto-volume increase/decrease based on the feedback it's getting from the microphones so you don't have to adjust the volume manually between 30 MPH and 80 MPH. No boom mic, it uses forward facing mics on each speaker to detect noise and voice pickup. The only "criticism" I would give is that it takes some playing with mounting the speakers in the helmet. There's a balance between getting them really close to your ears (for less noise), but you can blow yourself away with the volume. Not bad, but fiddley until you find the right spots (especially if you have different hearing levels in each ear).

http://www.uclear-digital.com/en/UCLEAR_HBC100_MOTO

MarvinM

Which Shark Tex? - I have to change lid next year and Shark are on my list (despite them being French). My missus has an EVO. That or maybe another Givi. I want facial protection and LOT's of ventilation.

Evoline 3. Keep in mind if you have to order online that they run small. I used the measuring guidelines on their website to order and had to send both helmets back for larger ones.

I believe if being available for my family 100% of the time, even on my motorcycle so I'm a firm believer in bluetooth system though honestly my phone calls are normally "hello; I'm on a motorcycle can I call you later?" but if it's an emergency I'm available to take it. I've also found it invaluable to communicate with my wife when she is riding pillion.

That being said, here is the setup I've used for the last 2 years:

Scalarider G4 Powerset (2 units linked) with wired microphone
Shoei RF1100
iPhone 5 (me) iPhone 4S (her)

When installing the speakers inside the helmet I made spacers with velcro and a bit of cardboard in between them. Having the speakers closer to the ear increases the effective "volume" of the unit. I also wear ear plugs which serve a dual purpose. They cut the wind noise significantly and also enhance bass response. The ear plugs are Hearos Rock N Roll, what I like about them is that they are a soft rubber "shell" with a foam interior. Getting them in and out is very fast and very easy and at $5 a set (with a plastic box/case) I have about 6 sets and keep one in each riding jacket.

My phone is bluetoothed to my Zumo 665 which sits right above my gauges behind the fly screen. Caller ID comes up on the Zumo. I get phone, music and direction / weather / traffic prompts in the helmet through the Zumo. If a number pops up that I don't urgently need to talk to it gets ignored...on the other hand, if it happens to be someone I'm riding with telling me they or lost (or I am)or some other urgent call I can take it.

I have the older Cardo-Scala system (Q2 multi set) on all my helmets and it's worked fine for the past 6 years. Works well for phone calls while riding and listening to GPS/MP3s vis a Garmin Zumo.

When it dies, I'll upgrade to their G4 or G9 set that my friends have and speak highly of.

I just don't think this sytem will ever die.

I just re-tried mine (Scala) and it fired right up. Think I will transfer it over to my full coverage and hope for the best.

Thanks to everybody for the great feedback. Helped a lot.

I use the Sena SMH-10r. It's the same guys as the SMH-10, but it's WAY smaller. The battery is relocated away from the main unit so you can mount it on the back. I had enough room to mount it between the foam and outer shell of my Schuberth S2.

The Sena options are cheaper, but more people have the Scala systems. If you expect to ride in a group, most likely your group will have the scala G4 or G9. They also have greater range and number of people in the net at one time.

Everyone I've talked to that has used both scalar and sena have liked the sena better. I chose the sena based on features, price and buddies that have them even though the schuberth S2 is pre wired for a schuberth branded scala G4.

Back