r3 newbie with helmet "wind slapping"

atjurhs

.060 Over
Ride
2017 R3 Roadster
hey guys,

i'm relatively new to the r3. before the r3, i never road with a fairing or a shield. all my riding was just around town, no long trips so i didn't need one. but with the r3, i'm taking longer rides.... but after riding her for a +300mile ride my shoulders were killing me from the constant force of the wind at 60-80mph, so i decided i needed a fairing or a shield. the shield was cheap, but it gave a lot of turbulence so my eyeballs were rattling around in my head (more so than usual). tried lowering and raising it, all the same, no difference. so i popped for a Corbin fairing (price tag yikes!). tried both the taller and shorter glass above the fairing, and i opted for the taller one, my eyeballs weren't rattling around in my head as much.

BUT the "wind slapping" against my helmet is noisy at speeds above 50mph (and gets worse as i go faster) and makes it impossible to have any sort of a bluetooth sound system in the helmet.

my question is...

is there a certain type/style of helmet that is more aerodynamic so to reduce the "wind slapping"?

i currently ride with a Biltwell Gringo helmet. it fits well, i like it but it has no bluetooth sound system and with all the "wind slapping" there's no reason to put one in it. i would like to have a helmet that i can put a Sena bluetooth sound system in so i can listen to tunes as i ride.

what say ye?

thanks!

Todd

You really need a good fitting, good quality helmet. In my opinion, pretty much any helmet less than $300 or more just won't provide the noise deadening or the comfort. I run currently a Schuberth M1 with a Sena S20. the S20 is superior to the many sound systems I have tried in the last 5 years! I would also recommend not to use the proprietary sound system because the two that I have tried were grossly inferior to the Sena.
Determining your head shape is the most important in order to get a good fitting helmet. Helmets are built to different head shape configurations.

I have the R3T and my windshield is an inch or so higher than the stock one...there's a little buffeting but not much. I can wear a half helmet no issues, where on my no windshield sportster it would try to come off my head but for the chin strap. If the Gringo helmet is vented, open up the vents, and it may help, though your head might freeze in cold weather...and I know they have a little winter in Huntsville once in a while. Helmets all seem to have different aerodynamics....sometimes you have to try a few.

I have to say wind buffeting is something I notice quite a bit as well. I have a couple sets of lowers I'm going try to maybe ease the problem, however the problem is amplified by my helmet. No helmet, ride is relatively good other than my beard looks like it was styled with a weed whacker.

An Aerodynamic lid is of no use in an area of turbulence. There is no air flow to be dynamic in. And well fitting whilst it will reduce the noise associated also means your head moves more. Even so a well fitting helmet SHOULD be the choice. You are basically driving with a barn door at near vertical face on and it will generate turbulence. End of Story.

Also note that FULL FACE helmets seem to waggle more - but in reality it is because your head is inside a sound chamber that allows you to notice the associated noise. Open lids (or no lid) you wont hear it but it still happens. A light helmet allows your neck muscles to control the waggle with more ease. The weight thing really matters far more than you'd think.

I have tried Triumph lowers, raising the screen, venting the screen, changing teh screen angle, a screen aerofoil (LaminarLip), my current fork mounted lowers, engine bar mounted lowers and pretty much every combination. Tried mounting at an angle or square on - all sorts. They will all affect the effects of turbulence to some extent BUT not always at the speed you want to ride. Also affected to where YOU sit related to the screen. So riding position.

My current combo is fine to 130-140kph depending on whether there is a crosswind of any reasonable magnitude or not. Then gets a bit rough and then smooths out again above 170kph. This I like as it a sort of passive speed alert system on longer runs.

For an INDICATION of head shapes and Helmet shapes - webbikeworld is a brilliant reference.

If it's the windshield or fairing causing the "wind slapping" then no helmet in the world is going to stop it.

With helmet on and riding move your head frontwards and backwards. When you find the sweet spot where there is no buffering then that's where you want to be.

I have a Triumph type windshield and had the same problem. I manipulated the adjustment some with additional parts that I made and it remedied the problem. I found riding with the windshield to be a constant nuisance until I made the adjustment.

Hello Todd, I know your feeling. Wind turbulence was one of my top issues when I narrowed down my bike choices to just ten (R3T won that cycle). First, the standard windscreen as what comes on the R3T worked perfect for my ergonomics. In this case, it doesn't matter which lid I wear. I don't know how tall you are and since you ride the R3R, my comments are not as relevant. The sage advice above seems spot on to me for your case.

As for the helmets them selves. I usually ride at ~80mph and a half helmet or open face lid do not provide me the safety in site that I need. Thus I primarily wear a full face bucket. The helmet you wear look pretty cool and retro, I like the look. My previous two helmet were the Shoie RF1000 and RF1100. I "used" both of them and have absolutely nothing to say bad about them except their price. Currently, I wear a generic Bilt Blaze (much less expensive and meets DOT requirements). It also has my Sena Bluetooth setup that works well for cell, two-way comms with pretty pillion and for FM radio. It seems to last all day as well which is nice on a ten hour ride. If I ride without the windscreen, the force of wind against the whole upper body distracts me from feeling much if any head shake. If I opt for a half helmet without the screen, I stay under 65mph.

Good luck in your quest for smooth air!

The helmet you wear look pretty cool and retro, I like the look.
Me too - Nexx have brought something similar out (for those of us who need E rated lids - NEXX Helmets - | catalog - 12 items found

They do a leather covered carbon version. Light and Solar insulated. Reputedly also quieter. They call it the Dark Devil.

Have a Pro check your helmet size, it might be too big. Tighten your chin strap. Tilt your helmet forward. Get a pair of Iolates ear plugs. Cover your ears with a longer head cap. Improve streamlining your posture on the bike at those higher speeds.

This bike is a Roadster, not a Tourer. There are trade offs. Have tried stock, ClearView and 7Spurlock taller than stock. Currently on a Windvest 14 X 16. They are all good. It depends on where you set them and where You set yourself on the bike.
BTW, have a set of chrome lowers adapted from Harley. Maybe they are doing something other than looking kool.

Helmets are Bell 500, Syber U-1 shortie, HJC IS 16 full face, Bell Star, Scorpion Exo. Nothing fancy, all cheapos.

mully95, changing your body's riding position (typically stretching further back or crouching down low) will pay it's toll on your body, and that will make riding not enjoyable and might end up with a trip to the physical therapist.

barbagris - i hear what you're saying, but i would think that the shape of the helmet might help. you can see mine is pretty round, so maybe try an elliptical or pointy in the back might help.

and i think i read that a lighter helmet would matter, or is it a heavier helmet would be helpfull?

surely because of the size of the r3 most guys riding an r3 are not short guys but taller, being 6ft, i'd think most r3 riders would be about my size and experiencing the same thing, so that's why i'm posting my question in this forum and hoping to get a list of helmets that work for most r3 riders

Back