r3 newbie with helmet "wind slapping"

Ta-dah!

Huge I know, but with Clearview vented (stock Triumph Roadster screen size specs) Mephis Shades Top wing and Memphis Shades side wings + stainless Steel blades from UK which require your own bracket fabrication and location.
Link Removed

I have been 120mph on GPS and is rock steady fully loaded with my 170Kg + gear and massive luggage, leather panniers top box + 3 bags/rolls on top of panniers and pillion seat.

For the last 10,000Km I have been using a Lazer Jet Super Skin open face with flip screen and no earplugs, I do not get runny eyes from wind or any turbulence to worry about.

Click to expand photos.

R3's at RDU Nyngan (2).jpg

R3 blade lowers 1.jpg R3 blade lowers 2.jpg R3 blade lowers 3.jpg R3 blade lowers 4.jpg

Years ago when I first bought my R3 I had buffeting problems. I had a very tall Cee Bailey's wind screen. I got tracings of the Triumph accessory lowers (can't remember who, but thanks again !). I modified those so they came up behind the screen. Worked great, no buffeting at all. Then I started having exhaust fume problems. Tried many variations until l got to where I am now. A little buffeting but at least I can breath. After my Bambi adventure I bought a National Cycle with top lip and closable vent. We'll see how that works out. Surprisingly my lowers weren't damaged so they are back on as well.

IMG_20180131_173926016.jpg

AFAIK (IIRC) Triumph screens are made by National Cycle - So are MAYBE polycarbonate.

Clearview are I think acrylic.

Most others I have ever looked at are cast acrylic. If they come from an aircraft place they'll probably be acrylic.
This last gem from my mate Jim in the US who had an aircraft restoration business.

I was idly looking about today to see if I could find an Original Triumph blade - but could only find the summer variety.

If I suddenly had to replace the Triumph screen I would almost certainly get that National Cycle for Suzuki thing. But I'd get a dark one.

It's not ALL bad news

Acrylic vs. Polycarbonate: a Quantitative and Qualitative Comparison –

Years ago when I first bought my R3 I had buffeting problems. I had a very tall Cee Bailey's wind screen. I got tracings of the Triumph accessory lowers (can't remember who, but thanks again !). I modified those so they came up behind the screen. Worked great, no buffeting at all. Then I started having exhaust fume problems. Tried many variations until l got to where I am now. A little buffeting but at least I can breath. After my Bambi adventure I bought a National Cycle with top lip and closable vent. We'll see how that works out. Surprisingly my lowers weren't damaged so they are back on as well.

IMG_20180131_173926016.jpg

Yeah Fred, like you I believe the lowers running up behind the main fairing help push air up the inside of the screen smoothing airflow and preventing buffeting vortices from entering the low pressure area behind the screen that exists without them.

That is what my extended stainless blades do with about an inch gap between main screen and top of blades behind. I think @1K9 has a similar effect with his Harley steel blades.

On the screen lowers on my recent trip you can really notice the buffeting changes to the helmet when you tuck your legs in tight to the bike vs on the highway pegs or even just move them about on normal pegs. I only fit my ranch slider when I go touring but will definitely make up some lowers this winter, surprised me.

I have also recently recently ditched my Shark Evoline (liked helmet design but I found I only ever road with it open). Decided that I was only going to use a full face from now on so I had no choice in the matter (see @Claviger post as to why, just getting older/wiser I guess...). I opted for a Shoe GT Air and was simply stunned. Was very light, so quiet I could hear myself talk while riding (usually just the roar of wind), virtually no buffeting or helmet vibration (Shark used to disrupt vision) no fogging and loads of cool airflow. I cannot believe I messed around with other helmets for so long. There are other good brands out there too was looking at a high spec HJC too.

The lenses are so big now that you really notice either

Yeah the industry’s made some good improvements over the last 5 years!

With helmets you really truly get what you pay for.

Just a side note, take it from someone who’s taken a 130mm Artillery round IED from 6 feet away directly to the face. If you must ride with an open face, please ride behind a polycarbonate screen not acrylic. Acrylic shatters like untempered glass and typically breaks with the slightest force along a scratch. Polycarbonate does shatter as well, but it is far far stronger and more impact resistant. I only have eyes in my head because of the miracle that is polycarbonate!!

Think of tool steel be carbon steel, same deal, ones hard and brittle the others softer but will take vastly more abuse before failing.

Last edited:
That front fender is deffo a better looking match, style-wise, to the rear tin than the OEM piece, IMO. Are you planning to color-match it at some point, Scorp?

Saw this today which (whilst obviously marketing) was a bit of a revelation.

Didn’t see this till I’d typed out the post above, but it’s exactly what I was getting at.

AFAIK (IIRC) Triumph screens are made by National Cycle - So are MAYBE polycarbonate.

Clearview are I think acrylic.

Most others I have ever looked at are cast acrylic. If they come from an aircraft place they'll probably be acrylic.
This last gem from my mate Jim in the US who had an aircraft restoration business.

I was idly looking about today to see if I could find an Original Triumph blade - but could only find the summer variety.

If I suddenly had to replace the Triumph screen I would almost certainly get that National Cycle for Suzuki thing. But I'd get a dark one.

It's not ALL bad news

Acrylic vs. Polycarbonate: a Quantitative and Qualitative Comparison –

I think that link content is worth posting in entirety as it is good simple and not too large and I get frustrated when trying to find old links that they disappear out of my humble IT ability to recover them.

ACRYLIC VS. POLYCARBONATE: A QUANTITATIVE AND QUALITATIVE COMPARISON

Acrylic often compared to Polycarbonate, which is an other transparent plastic, that is sometimes used for bearing loads. Polycarbonate is sometimes called Lexan®, which is a trademark by GE Plastics. An other popular brand name for Polycarbonate is Makrolon®, owned by Bayer. Acrylic on the other hand is often called Plexiglas. Plexiglas ® is a trademark by Roehm and Hass.

Popular Uses for Acrylic (Plexiglas):

• Motorcycle helmet visors
  • Helicopter Windows, Submarine Windows
  • Spectator protection in ice hockey
  • Police riot control vehicles modifications
  • Swimming Pool Windows
  • Aquariums and Terariums (including large public aquarium walls and tunnels)

Popular Uses for Polycarbonate (Lexan):

• Compact discs, DVDs
  • Lighting lenses, sun-glass/eyeglass lenses, safety glasses, automotive headlamp lenses, camper windows
  • Drinking bottles
  • Computers: Apple, Inc.’s MacBook, iMac, and Mac mini
  • Cases
  • Riot shields, visors
  • Instrument panels
  • Bullet-proof Glass

Key characteristics, Acrylic compared to Polycarbonate:

• More likely to chip
  • less impact resistance then Polycarbonate, but still 10-24 times more resistant than float glass
  • more resistant against evenly distributed loads then Polycarbonate
  • Less likely to scratch.
  • Does NOT yellow after time.
  • Better clarity. Acrylic can be restored to optical clarity by polishing.

Key characteristics, Polycarbonate compared to Acrylic:

• Impact/chip resistance is much higher with Polycarbonate. (about 30 times more resistant than glass)
  • More likely to scratch.
  • Substantially more expensive. (roughly 2 to 3 times)
  • Used for more industry applications
  • Bulletproof when thick enough.
  • More bendable under normal temperatures (0-20°C)
  • Yellows over time due to ultraviolet rays
  • Easier to work with (cut, less likely to break)
  • Poorer clarity, diffuses light

Polycarbonate – Lexan Acrylic – Plexiglas GS
Density g/cm³ 1.2 1.19
Max weight gain during immersion % 0.35 2.1
Tensile strength σΜ at 23°C MPa 60-70 80
Flexural strength σbB MPa 90 115
Impact strength acU (Charpy) kJ/m2 35 15
Flexural strength σbB MPa 90 115
Optical Light Transmission % 89 92
Forming Temperature °C 185…205 160…175
Vicat B Temperature °C 145 115
Velocity of Sound m/min 2270 2750
Attenuation at 5MHz dB/cm 24.9 6.4
Fire Rating German DIN 4102 B2 B2 (*2)
Sources:

Lexan 9030 Sheet Product Datasheet

Plexiglas GS Product Description

(*2): Makrolon AR – Bayer Sheet Europe, October 2004

Categories: Technology of Glazing under Pressure
Created: 28 July 2014
Last Modified: 26 May 2015

Yeah the industry’s made some good improvements over the last 5 years!.
One of the things that still strikes me is how many lower range lids fare really well in the SHARP scheme testing. Often ahead of more expensive lids. Since being told about it I always look there whenever a lid takes my fancy. They do not test everything sadly.

Now I have not looked (and won't) but I wonder if this is to do with the impact resistance of PC?.

As the range of Helmets shows - helmet choice is a very personal thing. But I do believe that certain models achieve status due to P2P recommendation rather than the simple act of spending a day or two looking.

Back