Blast Off with the Rocket III

Not sure I get that test. Is this a 2014 test of a 2006 model?
Yeah, at the end it shows it is a 2014 test ride. I would say though, that it is basically a true and fair report of a 2006 model. Nothing negative really. Shocks a little stiff, blah blah.

Just a boring article. I ride a Rocket for the enjoyment it gives ME. Nitpicking over the bleeding obvious - it's heavy, the engine looks big, it doesn't sound like a v-twin - is like looking at someone's wife and saying she could loose an inch here, her voice doesn't sound as nice as someone else's, she not as hot as Scarlett Johansson. Big deal!

Now for my critique. The writing style is plain boring and the author has glaring floors in his subject knowledge. Pretty disappointing product in terms of quality and presentation. I don't imagine there'll be too much of a following for long. ;)

dont get me wrong the article is reasonably good as compared to some magazines but like those there are some obvious FLAWS.
The rider in the Video has NO balls, you choose a Classic which has the floor boards nearly two inches lower than a Standard's pegs (and I'm not sure of the peg height of the Roadster but I am sure it's clearance would be better than the Touring or Classic).
Even with the OEM fitted Metzlers the Rocket handles reasonably well (which is greatly improved by fitting any other brand of tyre other than those crap Metzlers) and a heap better than the V twins I have ridden.
Also the original Suspension like So many OEM suspension is a compromise easily fixed with aftermarket units and progressive springs in the front as well.
Unfortunately yours or the writers credibility has suffered because of this and the rider in the video needs some advanced rider training

Last edited:
I applaud you for attempting to write an unbiased review. The points where I have contention with the article are many-fold, however.

A point on the weight, I am an out of shape female at a whopping five feet tall (5'1" if you round up) and with a little practice, I can back into and out of spaces without having to hop off on a basically stock (I too added the extra gauges and a new exhaust) 2008 standard R3. When it comes to weight while moving, the R3 is so well balanced that I find little trepidation passing a drunk 18-wheeler at night. The heft helps me feel safer, rather than wobbly.

Your disappointment over the anti-theft systems is understandable in that everyone wants to protect a large investment, but according to theft data in the U.S.; the Rocket 3 is in the top ten LEAST stolen and vandalized motorcycles nationwide. In fact, I believe it was third on the list.

When it comes to disappointing demographic responses, this bike was one that helped an entire new breed of muscle-bike carve out a niche in the American psyche. In effect, it created it's own demographic in a culture of hard-core traditionalists. Impressive? I think so.

Cornering, ah, cornering. That subject where so many people seem to believe that any lean angle that doesn't make your shoulder scrape pavement means that it is unsatisfactory. Yes, many bikes out perform this one in corners, but I have yet to be on one that feels so effortless in a turn after carefully choosing your line. Let us be honest here, you should still be just as particular in choosing a line on the "leaning machines" out there, or one day you will never get vertical again. AND, good luck enjoying those twisties on a rice rocket when those twisties are are on a road a hundred miles from your house. The comfort I find on the R3 is unparalleled when you want to do a road trip that ends in a canyon.

Shocks.... o_O How many velvety smooth shocks are are there stock on a bike this big? Moot point for me.

You pointed out that on the R3, "Touring is limited by rider and pillion comfort problems," that is true. so far, the only time I have been comfortable after an hour and a half of riding was on a Harley Softail. Say what you wish, but I think that half their popularity is due to the comfort of their stock seats. Motorcycles are not comfortable unless you are willing to spend money on a custom seat that may or may not match the look of your bike depending on the individual requirement of your specific anatomy.

All in all, I feel your article is more subjective than objective in it's lack of specific data (or relate-able experience) for many of it's conclusions and is rather dry if you were going for a subjective overview in the first place. Hope some of this was relevant, and best of luck in your future articles.

I agree the pogo stick suspension can feel dangerous at 120 mph on bumpy roads, but I cannot comment on other cruiser suspensions at that speed because no other factory cruisers will do 120 mph. forget about the 140+ my rocket will do!

Warp Speed here is my 2006 Classic as for top speed well I must admit I have not found it but you would not believe how fast it hits 205 mph

The Millennium Falcon.JPG

As for touring I do find mine gets a little tiring aft 700 miles but then I am not the spry feller I used to be :D

I don't want to discourage you but, if you were trying to make an impact on this forum I would say...fail. These bikes take a while to understand and appreciate and your article Shows neither understanding or appreciation. All in all my rating of your article would be....swing and a miss. You may not understand baseball analogies so I will put it another way...go back to your Harley...you will b happier

Had my bike for 10 years, original seat, shocks, bars, and everything original for that matter, has been to the Dragon, and a bunch of other destinations with no problems, as most of you know i have 2 sports bikes, a Harley a Spyder and a scooter, the rocket is my weapon of choice for most of my riding and i like the seat, the shocks and everything about it, at 5'4" short i belive only the Chipmunk is shorter than me and i can handle the beast just fine thru corners, sharp curves and straights, i can't see all the negatives mentioned anywhere soooooo,, what do we make of this thread??:):whitstling:

Back