Blast Off with the Rocket III

I'll admit my R3T wasn't entirely what I had hoped for when I got it, handling-wise, in the corners. $500 later and some Progressive 444 shocks later and the thing corners in ways a bike this size shouldn't be capable of. No hint of wobble or any instability at speed either, unlike some Harleys that are infamous for death wobbles. Better tires than the stock Metzelers lifted it yet another notch.

Bottom line is that you review an old, used model and bring up a bunch of irrelevancies. "More power and weight than the chassis can handle" is simply untrue, the double spine chassis is incredibly robust, my bike doesn't even have a hint of squirreliness in the twisties with just new shocks and decent rubber. It also tracks straight as an arrow and this whole "choosing your line with care and caution" stuff is just nothing I recognize.

As for the complaints that it's not a V-twin - that's hard to miss before you buy it, and if a v-twin is what one wants then obviously this is not the right bike. :p

@Hedgehog I will re-read your piece a second time before I really get the feel of what you are saying. As for my '14 Touring, (which I know you did not have to test), I only have 18,000 miles on it and admit that during a two week, 5,500 mile vacation this summer that I took three days off throughout to rest from the trip. Moreover, I have only ridden 28 machines so far, so stating that the Rocket III is one of the best machines I have ever owned is maybe not as weighted. I think on first read that maybe you missed something. However, as I said, I will read it again to make sure I am not misunderstanding your intent...

I also have a 2006 R3 Classic as tested. My test ride is, so far, a bit over 116,000 miles. Here is my review.

Acceleration. It goes like a rocket. There may be a hypercar or two out there than can beat it to 60mph, but I have yet to meet one at the lights.

Cornering. I regularly exit from one particular Interstate to another at 65 mph around a 25mph (advisory speed sign) 270 degree exit loop without a problem. My Camaro is starting to squeal the tyres at the same speed. btw, I do this on a DarkSide tyre - imagine how much better it could do with the OEM tyre. :rolleyes: o_O :D

Cruising/Touring. The longest run I have completed in a day (26 hours to be precise) was 1,300 miles from Birmingham AL, to Santa Fe NM, one summers day. I have done several 1,000 mile days, and a whole lot of 700-1,000 mile days. It works well for me.

Maintenance. Gas in the tank. Tyres when needed. Oil change and lube every 10,000 miles. Yes folks, it is a GTO muscle bike.

WOW Factor. It has it in bucket loads. In fact, the only bike that gets more attention is my Enfield. :cool:

Disagree on the handling points you make in the review.

A slow bike ridden fast is always more satisfying than a fast bike ridden slow.

The only fundamental flaw of the rocket is the laws of physics governing lean angle vs grip vs speed. It has fantastic clearance for a bike of its style/size, corners well, hell I have under 1000 miles on mine and the entire back tire frequently touches down in corners. Yes it takes work to turn, Yes it requires constant pressure on the bars in corners, Yes you get bounced around a bit on the straights, YES that is all worth the ability to lean a 1/2 ton over to the edge of a 240mm tire accelerating like a mad locomotive through a turn! Believe it or not, there are riders, like myself, that do NOT want a bike to get "set" in a turn and stay there without pressure, I find it causes my mind to wander and lose focus on what i am doing.

This is coming from a guy who has zero un-used tire on his Daytona 955i, so yes, I know what it means to have crazy cornering ability, and all the same I find the rocket EVERY bit as satisfying to corner on. I think the fundamental difference is, I don't expect to the rocket be a crazy rediculous razor edge bike for handling, so I am impressed with what it can do, vs expecting it to corner as well as it accelerates, which will always end in tears.

So what I can only count on double the speed limit instead of triple or more all the time, the fact is, NO other cruiser delivers the power/ride/comfort/curb appeal/cornering ability/brakes of the rocket as a package, period. Yes the V-max is slightly faster (until you intake/exhaust the R3), as is the Diavel (slightly), yes the former might out corner it, but enjoy your 100 mile range, cramped ride, lack of pillion accommodations, terrible seat (Diavel), and BLAZING heat (Diavel).

Also another point I disagree on, the heat. It is warm, but boy, if you think this is "blast-furnace-like heat coming off the engine", I challenge you to go ride a modern Ducati superbike in anger then take it into a city with stop n go. Hell, my Daytona 955 puts out far more engine heat, specifically in the groin area, than the R3 does.

Last edited:
That whole "constant pressure on the bars in corners" went away completely on my R3T with Cobra tires on there. I mean, completely. The bounced around thing is also no longer there with new shocks. My 180 rear may factor in, I guess, but still.

sounds more like a volvo fan
it takes a special type of person to appreciate the rocket and i am glad i am that type of person. the rest of the group doesn't seem to fit the so called normal code. except the vw guy:roll::roll::roll: he's one of a kind.

Back