avon tire recall

Captains,

If you go to the other site, you can read the e-mails that avon sent to
to BigDoug. I called the shop where i bought my tire, they weren't aware of the recall. The date of BigDoug's posts are 05-07-2010. Avon North America is in Stow, Ohio. I'm near Dayton. I'll be calling them early monday morning to check on this situation.

Mine is on the bike and has held up at 160+mph I e-mailed Avon from the link on the other site and I am writing another e-mail to the engineer that was in constant contact with me during the design phase of the Cobra. I am confident that I will hear something tomorrow as I have never had to wait more than a day for a reply. While I have the engineer's attention I will put in a bug in their ear for a higher mileage tire for those of us who like to cruise. Maybe now that they have realized there is a market for Avon the will consider expanding it a little. I figure from reading post we all would like more mileage without giving up traction. Who knows this maybe possible by doing something as simple as adding more material? Or maybe they can give up a little traction for some more mileage. I myself would own two sets of wheels one for long cruises and one for thrashing around on the twisty’s. One thing I will say is doing expect the mileage of a Dark Sider as I believe it would require a tire with minimal grip and we don't want that.

Still no answer but a guy on the .com site who lives a couple hours away from the Avon Plant in the UK said he check and it is true and they are making replacement tires as we type:D

I just put new Avons on a few weeks ago, but I haven't checked the batch code yet. I'm just keeping an eye on it my rear tire for any issues.. So far only one guy is known to have had an issue on the planet, so I'm not too worried about it..

I hear ya Dave, it's just a big "what if". I about to embark on my 4000 mile journey and I don't want that little seed of doubt planted in my head the whole way. I'l probably just put a Metz on the back till they Finally get around to having a more than one person recall. The clock is ticking for me so I don't want to wait till the last minute.

Avon Tire Recall Info

This was reported in a tire industry publication:

Max-Trac recalls 64 Avon motorcycle tires

Tire Business staff report

WASHINGTON (May 14, 2010) — Max-Trac Tire Co. Inc. is voluntarily recalling 64 Avon Cobra AV72 motorcycle tires, size 240/50R16 84V, manufactured at Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. Ltd.’s plant in Melksham, England, between Oct. 11 and Nov. 7, 2009. When undergoing endurance testing at Melksham, one of the Avon tires developed a breaker/ply separation that caused early failure, Max-Trac told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Cooper conducted a European recall of all the tires from that production run, and determined that 64 of them had been exported to the U.S., according to Max-Trac, a Cooper subsidiary that does business as Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels.

Hi guys, sorry I'm a bit late with this. I'm the bigdoug whos tyre failed. If you have one of these on your bike please get it changed asap. This happened to me at about 90mph.

Hi guys, sorry I'm a bit late with this. I'm the bigdoug whos tyre failed. If you have one of these on your bike please get it changed asap. This happened to me at about 90mph.
HEY give us a side view of that thing :confused:

Impact break

Looks like an impact break. Unless the splice failed which is very rare. I just hope you are ok. What is the tire manufacturer saying?
Punched in then blown out?

As I have told you on the other forum Imfastto the rim is ok. The refletion from the knurled bit on the tyre makes it look marked but it isnt.

Back