Auxiliary fuel tank

Great if there is a gas station to stop at. You must ride in a lot of populated areas.

No question about breaks, I thought that seemed obvious.
I put 6.25 gallons in mine one August day in the Mojave dessert. I'm glad the fuel wasn't another 100 yards down the road. I've never had a problem finding fuel within a tank's range, even in Texas. ;)

PLEASE NO OTHER REPLIES NEEDED

I don't care how you ride, when you ride, where you ride, what your ride looks like or when you take a leak! If it makes you happy GREAT. I personally believe that's being on two wheels is all about.

This was supposed to be a simple thread about "anyone done an Auxiliary tank"

@Big Gun,
That would be like 50 pounds sitting behind the rear axle and WAY above the center of mass with rider aboard.

That and the sloshing fuel would be very adverse to handling.
I would NOT do it.

That said, I have a Gold Wing riding buddy that does some Iron Butt.
He uses a foam lined fuel cell that sits on the passenger seat.
Something like this:

fuelcell.jpg

Short of being somewhere with no gas stations, 6 gallons is more than enough for me. After around 175 miles, I'm more than ready and happy to get my butt off the bike and take a break. I guess I'm just not a kid anymore with every joint in my body setting up after a couple of hours. Car or bike it's all the same....pretty stiff for the first few steps.

I find that after a couple of hundred miles that a quick stop to fill up the bike's tank, and empty out mine, is a good thing. It allows me to stretch, and revives me for the next couple of hundred miles. I'm not sure that I would want to go 350+ miles between breaks.

For 1,000 miles, starting with a full tank, I would have 4 fuel stops. With 10+ gallons, it would be 2 stops. This would save about 20 minutes on a 16-17 hour trip, but leave one more worn out because of the lack of breaks. IMHO, not only not worth it, but potentially more dangerous.

I actually started toying with the idea of using the extra space under the seat after removing the stock air cleaner for RamAir. Figured I could probably get an extra 1 1/2 gallons but then need a filler neck, transfer system, and possibly a gauge of some sort? Ultimately I came to the exact same conclusion as you did here.:thumbsup:Very little benefit for a whole lot of trouble engineering it.

I too like the idea of extra fuel when fuel is few and far between (off season on the Blue Ridge Parkway, for example).

Since the stops don't seem to be an issue, I purchased two of these (mine were made by Tour Tank - and they no longer make them -- but this is essentially the same thing):

SPUN ALUMINUM GAS TANK - 4X10 BAM FUEL TUBE - 1/2 GALLON

I've never had to use them, though I have carried them several times for long distance trips. For me, it takes the pressure off the guess work around "how much fuel is left, really?".

Another option for you, that might not be as obtrusive as the big tank, and still plumbed directly to your fuel system (and if I were doing it, I would have it rigged so that it effectively increased the total capacity of the bike, and as I envision it, the fuel gauge would read "full" for a long time while the aux tank drained first - and this partly because I would like to be rid of that weight up high - pilots learn av gas is 6 lb/gallon) - is one of the off-road plastic tanks that are flat, and could be hung under the rack, keeping the weight lower, and still leaving the space above free for other things.

This forum is all about good folks having bikes their way -- please accept the opinions as just that, and the vast majority come from the heart -- wishing you the best in whatever path you follow, even if you have to read between the lines.

Back