Auxiliary fuel tank

You could have it painted to look like a NOS cylinder :)

So it's more of a top box jerry can than an aux fuel tank then? Seeing as it'd need to be either higher than the OEM tank to gravity feed into it or have its own pump/filter/reg assy to be an aux fuel tank really

No offense at all Jay but do you really think that will look good, even powder coated?

No question Grump, it will look pretty stupid but it will be a "as needed" component. Easy to remove.

I’m thinking about doing the RAT ride (ride around Texas) sometime this fall and I think it might be a necessity for that trip. Also plan to look into some other long distance rides. For sure it would not stay on the bike in normal use.

You could have it painted to look like a NOS cylinder :)

So it's more of a top box jerry can than an aux fuel tank then? Seeing as it'd need to be either higher than the OEM tank to gravity feed into it or have its own pump/filter/reg assy to be an aux fuel tank really

I would have it powder coated for sure.
I think the idea would be to use most of the gas in the main tank then open the valve. Be more like a reserve tank not really intended to run out of it.
Not sure just looking for ideas.

I find that after a couple of hundred miles that a quick stop to fill up the bike's tank, and empty out mine, is a good thing. It allows me to stretch, and revives me for the next couple of hundred miles. I'm not sure that I would want to go 350+ miles between breaks.

For 1,000 miles, starting with a full tank, I would have 4 fuel stops. With 10+ gallons, it would be 2 stops. This would save about 20 minutes on a 16-17 hour trip, but leave one more worn out because of the lack of breaks. IMHO, not only not worth it, but potentially more dangerous.

I find that after a couple of hundred miles that a quick stop to fill up the bike's tank, and empty out mine, is a good thing. It allows me to stretch, and revives me for the next couple of hundred miles. I'm not sure that I would want to go 350+ miles between breaks.

For 1,000 miles, starting with a full tank, I would have 4 fuel stops. With 10+ gallons, it would be 2 stops. This would save about 20 minutes on a 16-17 hour trip, but leave one more worn out because of the lack of breaks. IMHO, not only not worth it, but potentially more dangerous.

Good point...I too, when travelling distance look foward to refueling. It's like a pit stop...slam a water, bathroom, gas and the little walking around stretching really helps. Feel refreshed and ready to go again.

Great if there is a gas station to stop at. You must ride in a lot of populated areas.

No question about breaks, I thought that seemed obvious.

Back