Am I going nuts? (Trailer + R3)

I have the Bushtec touring one, the powder coating rusted within a year, but I rode through Buffalo winters, so IDK, just putting it out there

I got the classic trailers hitch have them on 3 of my bikes, towed a classic ultra light trailer behind my XJR1300 Yamaha and had to keep looking to see if it was there, just give yaself time to pull up and don't cut corners the rocket will do it easy!!!! I haven't tried the rocket yet as it is still off the road.

XJR-Trailer.jpg

I got the classic trailers hitch have them on 3 of my bikes, towed a classic ultra light trailer behind my XJR1300 Yamaha and had to keep looking to see if it was there, just give yaself time to pull up and don't cut corners the rocket will do it easy!!!! I haven't tried the rocket yet as it is still off the road.

XJR-Trailer.jpg

Looks small and neat

XJR-Trailer.jpg
Hey Roscoe
Are they independent or solid axle?

Last edited:
I looked up a few trailers and some have a rated load of 400kg
Is this weight all right behind the Rocket?

I don't know any way you'd know besides trial and error, it's not something the manufacturer would list, as others have said, brakes/ stopping power is the main issue, and balance to prevent excessive tongue weight.

0, pretty sure. ;)

Yepper.

I'll do it anyways if I want to but from my 2005 Manual:

"This motorcycle is not designed to tow a trailer or be fitted with a sidecar. Fitting a
sidecar and/or a trailer may result in loss of control and an accident."

So, 0 LOL

"...The total weight of the rider, and any passenger, accessories and luggage must
not exceed the maximum load limit of 235 kg." = 518lb. across 2 axles.

Tire load info:
Metzeler ME888 & Avon Cobra Chrome 240/50R16 Load Range: 84V - Maximum Capacity 1,102 lbs
Bridgestone Exedra Max 240/55R16 Load Range: 86V - Maximum Capacity 1,168 lbs

Hitch Max load from my prior post = 60 = 600lb (272kg) loaded trailer.

Lightweight Pop-Up Tent Trailors | Pop Up Tent Trailers | Small Car Tent Trailors Excel model is 265lb plus any upgrades plus gear so should be
around 450lb - but it doesn't have brakes available.

The Tourlite base model starts similarly at 253lb.

I'll look for more tomorrow...

I looked up a few trailers and some have a rated load of 400kg
Is this weight all right behind the Rocket?

400kg = 881lb x 10% = 88lb which exceeds the 60lb of the highest rated hitch by 30% and even worse at 15% tongue weight.

The Roulotte Prolite you linked to says DRY weight = 590lb with tongue = 55lb but once you load it up
it would be close to max for the Canadian Hitch and exceed the HitchDoc specs.

I worry about that one a bit because if you don't balance the inside load properly it could get front heavy.

Your call on acceptable risk when exceeding the selected hitch weight rating.

Last edited:
Back