Am I going nuts? (Trailer + R3)

Like I said, my bike never knew it was there, it towed effortlessly

This Trailer is 200kg.
Pod Trailer - Pod Trailer

I am not sure which way to go at the moment Build or Buy

There are some good S/h stuff on the market as well but some look like they would
Take a six pack to set up which to me doesn’t make sense of the reason you ride for

Loading the trailer is a trick too NOT too much weight on the draw bar or not enough. Was once told must be able to lift trailer by tongue with 2 fingers. I loaded mine once too heavy up front and when ya hit a bump in a corner it tried to stand the bike upright.

Loading the trailer is a trick too NOT too much weight on the draw bar or not enough. Was once told must be able to lift trailer by tongue with 2 fingers. I loaded mine once too heavy up front and when ya hit a bump in a corner it tried to stand the bike upright.
Thanks Roscoe that is very good advice

Hi everyone,

These two videos show the importance of tongue weight. Too much tongue weight will reduce the weight on the front wheels of the two vehicle and make steering real interesting.

These two videos show what happen if the tongue weight is not enough.

Video 1 and video 2 of not enough tongue weight. I had the pleasure of pulling an improperly loaded trailer once. Yes, it was my fault for poor loading. I really didn't need a seat belt as we went into the ditch. Luckily only my pride and both tail lights on the tow vehicle were damaged.

Later,
Jerry C

Thanks Roscoe that is very good advice

For my bike trailer I used 1200 lbs (350 trlr + 850 motor).
Tongue weight should be 9 to 15% of gross, so I used 12% of 1200 or 144 lbs.
Loaded bike onto trailer with front wheel in my Condor chock.
With trailer level, I placed a bathroom scale under the end of the tongue and moved the bike and chock forward and back until I found 144 lbs. Then I mounted the chock.
Works terrific

I'm thinking maybe what needs to be mentioned here is that towing a trailer on a motorcycle can drastically reduce one's chances of staying upright in a emergency
situation. I pulled a small one in the early eighties and had great confidence in it
for about 25k mi. a rear flat tire on the bike caused it to take my wife and I down
in the left lane at about 70 mph, a trailer wont allow you to get away with much
rear swaying. Not trying to rain on the parade, just saying a trailer can make close
calls into bad situations. IMO

On the way to MV last year, Dave, Dan and I were the first ones to stop when an older guy on a Goldwing with a trailer went right into the back end of a truck and trailer that stopped suddenly in front of him. We watched the trailer jackknife and push him right into it, and he got between the bike and what he hit. I think he lived, because we couldn't find any news stories of a death, but we stayed with him until ambulance arrived.

Back