Am I going nuts? (Trailer + R3)

OMFG - NNNOOOO! Where's the ladder and the ropes to support that coffin in a high wind?

I looked at teardrop or pod type trailers but they're costly, heavy, and you can't stand up in most of them so I started looking at pop-up campers.

I'm convinced that a trailer braking system is mandatory for safer stopping and to help prevent jackknifing.

U.S. or Canada Options:

Lees-ure Lite; Lightweight Pop-Up Tent Trailors | Pop Up Tent Trailers | Small Car Tent Trailors US$4-6,000 lightweight and sets up in 1 minute but is small and they don't sell a brake kit for it.

https://www.roadmancampers.com/store $4,900 similar - no options.

Motorcycle Camper Trailers | The USA Trailer Store sells similar Kwik Kamp (EOL) & Solace brands $3-4,000 used

Mini-Mate by Kompact Kamp https://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/minimatecamper looks good US$4,000 5m setup but no brakes or optional features.

My choice is TimeOut Trailers: Motorcycle Camper Trailer | Time Out Deluxe Camper & Add-on's US$4,500-6,500 longer setup time of 10m but is larger, has a table inside and lots of options including Electronic Brakes, Awning, Cooler, extra lights, Screened in porch, A/C mount etc.

I'm working out the logistics to pick up an almost-new 2018 that has brakes, custom paint and several upgrades now.

T/O MC RV Trailer = 400lb. plus gear and the CCC hitch is rated for 600 lb. so I should be within spec.

My Custom Cruiser Chrome Hitch arrived yesterday. It looks awesome but I had to order Chrome Hangers (+$40) as the brushed aluminum ones that come with it are meant for bikes with side bags.

The hangers connect the hitch to the rear fender bolt but the bolt on my 2015 doesn't appear to have space for it so I think I may have to buy a longer bolt - TBD - and they didn't supply a lock nut or washer either.

I'm nonplussed about how it attaches to the rear foot rest as well.

I wrongly assumed it would bolt onto the bracket end but it actually comes with a longer bolt to replace the pin that the peg swivels on. That new bolt looks a little flimsy. It's probably OK but I may look for a stronger one to be safe.

If I get ambitious I might try to design a small bracket to connect the hitch to the other bolt as a backup...

Last edited:
For my bike trailer I used 1200 lbs (350 trlr + 850 motor).
Tongue weight should be 9 to 15% of gross, so I used 12% of 1200 or 144 lbs.
Loaded bike onto trailer with front wheel in my Condor chock.
With trailer level, I placed a bathroom scale under the end of the tongue and moved the bike and chock forward and back until I found 144 lbs. Then I mounted the chock.
Works terrific

I basically did the same thing. Trailer, bike, spare tire, luggage, saddle bags, helmets etc approximately 2000 lbs. With the bathroom scale on the tongue, moved the bike chock, spare tire etc around till I ended up with 240 lbs on the tongue. Was aiming for 12% and got it. Made sure the trailer was level when on the hitch. Handled like a dream driving to and from Florida to Northern Ontario.
IMG_2177.JPG

I basically did the same thing. Trailer, bike, spare tire, luggage, saddle bags, helmets etc approximately 2000 lbs. With the bathroom scale on the tongue, moved the bike chock, spare tire etc around till I ended up with 240 lbs on the tongue. Was aiming for 12% and got it. Made sure the trailer was level when on the hitch. Handled like a dream driving to and from Florida to Northern Ontario.
IMG_2177.JPG

Well, ain't we just special?!?! :eek: :rolleyes: :banghead: :roll:
PS: I like yours better than mine!

OMFG - NNNOOOO! Where's the ladder and the ropes to support that coffin in a high wind?

I looked at teardrop or pod type trailers but they're costly, heavy, and you can't stand up in most of them so I started looking at pop-up campers.

I'm convinced that a trailer braking system is mandatory for safer stopping and to help prevent jackknifing.

U.S. or Canada Options:

Lees-ure Lite; Lightweight Pop-Up Tent Trailors | Pop Up Tent Trailers | Small Car Tent Trailors US$4-6,000 lightweight and sets up in 1 minute but is small and they don't sell a brake kit for it.

https://www.roadmancampers.com/store $4,900 similar - no options.

Motorcycle Camper Trailers | The USA Trailer Store sells similar Kwik Kamp (EOL) & Solace brands $3-4,000 used

Mini-Mate by Kompact Kamp https://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/minimatecamper looks good US$4,000 5m setup but no brakes or optional features.

My choice is TimeOut Trailers: Motorcycle Camper Trailer | Time Out Deluxe Camper & Add-on's US$4,500-6,500 longer setup time of 10m but is larger, has a table inside and lots of options including Electronic Brakes, Awning, Cooler, extra lights, Screened in porch, A/C mount etc.

I'm working out the logistics to pick up an almost-new 2018 that has brakes, custom paint and several upgrades now.

T/O MC RV Trailer = 400lb. plus gear and the CCC hitch is rated for 600 lb. so I should be within spec.

My Custom Cruiser Chrome Hitch arrived yesterday. It looks awesome but I had to order Chrome Hangers (+$40) as the brushed aluminum ones that come with it are meant for bikes with side bags.

The hangers connect the hitch to the rear fender bolt but the bolt on my 2015 doesn't appear to have space for it so I think I may have to buy a longer bolt - TBD - and they didn't supply a lock nut or washer either.

I'm nonplussed about how it attaches to the rear foot rest as well.

I wrongly assumed it would bolt onto the bracket end but it actually comes with a longer bolt to replace the pin that the peg swivels on. That new bolt looks a little flimsy. It's probably OK but I may look for a stronger one to be safe.

If I get ambitious I might try to design a small bracket to connect the hitch to the other bolt as a backup...

Great links thanks here is some more
https://minitrailerusa.com
The Weekender Lite | Trailer Time Enterprises, LLC - Custom Trailers, Custom Motorcycle Trailers, Tag-A-Longs

I really like the concept and zero-setup time of the tear-drop for a short trip but I want more space.

I'll be picking mine up next weekend. Hopefully things will go smoothly.

The only open issue at the moment is that it doesn't appear to have a white license plate light and that is required in NY for registration.

Here is a mockup of what will soon be my mobile home. The scale is a bit off and I think the orange stripes will be a closer match than shown here.

TO-05R3-mockup.jpg

My new-to-me MC home-on-wheels camper was collected this weekend.

It's larger than what I was expecting.

I'll create a new thread to track my hitch install, wiring and trip preparation.

newhome.jpg
My new-to-me MC home-on-wheels camper was collected this weekend.

It's larger than what I was expecting.

I'll create a new thread to track my hitch install, wiring and trip preparation.

newhome.jpg
Very nice

What is the weight of the trailer?

Very nice

What is the weight of the trailer?

Weight - 385 lbs. Base but this one has the L-shaped awning, running lights, cooler, spare tire and brake add-ons so around 445 lbs before I add my gear.
Length - 104"
Box Length - 65"
Towing Height - 32"
Width - 43"
Volume - 23 Cubic Feet
Tongue Weight - 20 lbs.
Independent Torsion Suspension

Back