Air Compressor

vanguard138

Living Legend
Ride
2013 Rocket III Touring
Lookong for suggestions on a decent quality 30 gallon air compressor. Seriously looking at the Porter Cable PXCM301. Lowes has the Kobalt 30 gal 2 hp 155 max cdm at 90 lbs 5.5. Home Depot has the Husky C301 and C331H., The C331H is 1.7 hp , 5.1 cfm at 90 lbs and max 165 psi.

I know,little to nothing about air compressors. Oil vs non oil.

Basically I will be using is for my new lift, putting air in the tractor tires, etc. It would be nice to be able to do small job spray painting. Maybe some air tools along the way, but doubtful since I have no plans where they would really be needed. And I definitely want it mobile and 110.

I do know you want a cast iron head.

Since you are not using the compressor for a commercial application then you probably don't need something bigger. The tasks that you have listed I would imagine that either one of these compressors could handle. The oil type compressor is usually the higher quality. The only problem you might have is when using an air tool with a higher CFM then the compressors rating then the tool will do its job adequately until the pressure in the tank starts getting low and then the compressor will not be able to keep up with it. Most fasteners can be loosened before that happens. As long as you are using the compressor to fill tractor tires and not to try to seat the bead it should also handle that task well. Any jobs that you may do that require the compressor to cycle on and off multiple times such as Sanders, die grinders and larger air wrenches obviously are harder on these compressors. If you intend to use your compressor for any type of painting you might get an air drier that attaches anywhere before the spray paint gun. one last thing a compressor is a type of tool that lot of people will really over buy for what they need and then find out they don't want it later because it might take up room and then sell it on the cheap. You might try finding A high quality used compressor that someone is letting go at a good price.

Thanks. Had thought about a 60 gallon but it would take up a corner and need 220. And I may never need the additional benefits of having more hp and cfm. AND most need to be bolted to the floor. And I am not much for load noise:D

The Porter Cable is oil and has a cast iron head. That may be the better quality.

I live in a fairly rural area with Traverse City being 30 plus miles away and Cadillac 14. Finding a good used one will be tough.

If you want to do any paint work you will probably want the 60 gallon. They keep up with paint guns better. The vertical tank will take up a corner, Home depot has one for around $500 I think. Not a bad deal. 220 should be available and not hard to hook up.

Back