2020 GT...5500 miles...falling apart.

r1dannyzx

Standard Bore
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
Just an FYI for all 2020 Rocket owners....

Got my permanent license plate after around 2000 miles (5 months in)...thats when I found that two of the three bolts that hold the plate/signal armature to the swing arm had fallen out and the last one was loose enough to make me feel really lucky I caught it....imagining what could have happened was pretty chilling.

Told my dealer...they claimed it was the only instance of it they'd heard of...

Early this summer @ 4000 miles I noticed that one of the three heat shields on the the header was gone....and when I told my dealer they once again claimed I was the only one.

The shield was only $45 and the M5 SS screws were @$5 each...I had already bought them not thinking it would be a warranty covered issue. But I the real whammy is that the threaded inserts those M5's affix two are spot welded into the brackets that are welded to the header..and not available as a stand alone part. They are part of the header itself ($755)...still fighting to get this taken care of....

Last month @5000 miles the steering head developed an bad click so I'm assuming it too is loosening up..of course my dealer claims yet again that I'm the only one....it goes into the dealer tommorrow for that as well as the rear brake fade recall and for them to try and force a warranty claim on the header / shield issue.

I'll post a follow up as to how they handle it....wish me luck.

First and last time I ever buy a first year model.

Just an FYI for all 2020 Rocket owners....

Got my permanent license plate after around 2000 miles (5 months in)...thats when I found that two of the three bolts that hold the plate/signal armature to the swing arm had fallen out and the last one was loose enough to make me feel really lucky I caught it....imagining what could have happened was pretty chilling.

Told my dealer...they claimed it was the only instance of it they'd heard of...

Early this summer @ 4000 miles I noticed that one of the three heat shields on the the header was gone....and when I told my dealer they once again claimed I was the only one.

The shield was only $45 and the M5 SS screws were @$5 each...I had already bought them not thinking it would be a warranty covered issue. But I the real whammy is that the threaded inserts those M5's affix two are spot welded into the brackets that are welded to the header..and not available as a stand alone part. They are part of the header itself ($755)...still fighting to get this taken care of....

Last month @5000 miles the steering head developed an bad click so I'm assuming it too is loosening up..of course my dealer claims yet again that I'm the only one....it goes into the dealer tommorrow for that as well as the rear brake fade recall and for them to try and force a warranty claim on the header / shield issue.

I'll post a follow up as to how they handle it....wish me luck.

First and last time I ever buy a first year model.
I'm thinking dealer may be right, you are the only one. Called lemon.
Good luck, they should make it right for you or demand new bike.

Update #1 Dropped the bike off on Tuesday for a look at the click in the head , the rear brake recall , the heat shield issue and a tank swap (separate thread coming if anyone's interested in a 2020 Silver GT tank with tip over damage).....
I emailed for an update late Wed....and then again on Friday when I got a response that it was good to go...

So, I go get it....clicks better but still there...they rode it and checked the torque on the assembly...said it was fine.

To be continued im sure...

Heat shield ,as I assumed , initiated a warranty claim on the entire header assembly, which is on backorder.....

To be continued.....

The rear brake wasn't touched...abs/maintenance light still on...after specifically claiming it was done in the email correspondence. apparently an oversight...shops overwhelmed they said.

I'm gonna bleed the system myself and be done with it....anyone know how to clear the maintenance light?

So, that's it thus far...a little frustrated to say the least...stay tuned.

To clear errors you'll need a OBDII reader. that works for your bike. They aren't expensive and very handy to diagnose problems. My 05 had heat shield screws that backed out over time. A dab of thread locker or a lock washer works wonders. Anytime a dealer works on a bike and it's still not right, insist they complete the repair or have a Tech Rep from Triumph explain why it can't be fixed. Don't except excuses, you're paying for their service work.

I'm thinking the cheap labor worker in Thailand was ready to get off work at 1:00 AM to be back at work at 5:00 AM. Your bike rolled across at 12:55 AM. ;)
Sorry to disagree - but from my point of view none of these points are based on the worker in Thailand:
- the number plate holder is mounted at the dealer
- the problem with the header seems to be based on an error of the sub-supplier
- a dealer unable to adjust the steering and carry out the recall job needs no description

I would change the dealer - and I would do it fast...

Sorry to disagree - but from my point of view none of these points are based on the worker in Thailand:
- the number plate holder is mounted at the dealer
- the problem with the header seems to be based on an error of the sub-supplier
- a dealer unable to adjust the steering and carry out the recall job needs no description

I would change the dealer - and I would do it fast...
I could be wrong...but I'm pretty sure my bike was built in the UK...shortly before the assembly was transferred to Thailand..
Regardless...my dealer has issues no doubt so switching up sounds like a good idea if only I had another dealer as close (20 miles vs 70) ...
Whats stings the most is the $23k I paid for this bike is more than double what I paid for any on my 7 other bikes (all new) and I had problems with only one of those (the Kawasaki) that required dealer assistance.
Triumph ownership not a good experience thus far

New bikes need checking after you have ridden them for a while. Geez!..i never dont check all the bolts i can find for tightness...after even 100kms!...and again..and again...everything has the chance to come loose. To blame someone else for not assembling the bike correctly is not correct...they have all been quality checked before they leave the factory...What more can i say?...just do it!

New bikes need checking after you have ridden them for a while. Geez!..i never dont check all the bolts i can find for tightness...after even 100kms!...and again..and again...everything has the chance to come loose. To blame someone else for not assembling the bike correctly is not correct...they have all been quality checked before they leave the factory...What more can i say?...just do it!
I agree 100%. I checked everything for tightness the day I brought it home although when someone finds certain problems on the Rocket not safety checked by the manufacturer and dealer it is disheartening. It really isn't and shouldn't be our job to do that on a brand new motorcycle although it is the smart thing to do. When you do find on your third ride the handlebars falling it makes you wonder what else they missed. Safety check everything in case they missed it.
The strange thing about this is if say you went out and bought a brand new Lexus RX SUV. Would you start looking to tightening bolts and such? No I don't think so. You seriously shouldn't need to but I do on motorcycles 'just in case'.

Last edited:
Back