A wider tire doesn't really help in the twisties. Wider tires means you have to really wrestle the bike down. If you want better handling and haven't yet mounted aftermarket rear shocks, that should be a priority. With Progressive 444 HD on mine there was a night and day difference. Fully loaded down the bike tended to show wallowing tendencies, and the KYB shocks are basically oversprung and underdampened.

I don't think the 200 will hurt much, but I really don't think it will help either.

Also make sure you get a thinner profile on the 200 than what's stock with the 180, tires expand when you ride, and a 200 will be taller than a 180.

Triumph put the 180 on the back to increase handling performance.

I also think the fact that the bike has factory panniers factors in to why they redesigned the whole tail section on the Touring. The 240 on the Roadster is pretty pointless from a handling viewpoint, it's just there to look imposing. A 180 is plenty and it lets the Touring be considerably narrower around the rear end.

If you see a Roadster with panniers, they tend to be wide as buses back there because the 240 adds a lot of width.

But isn't a few extra pounds and more prominent curves at the back always attractive....what is wrong with u guys who like skinny and slim back...

So finally, I did put a 200 MT on my Rocket. I went with Avon Cobras, 150x80x16 front and 200x60x16 rear. Boy, what a change. I had Metzeler 880 prior to this. The choice was Metzeler 888 or Avon Cobras. Avon had better warranty, so that was the choice. Now about the ride.
Well, I did not feel any problem in handling, in fact, I found these to be excellent on slow speed and high speed both. While taking long sharp turns on highway, the 880 would give me a feeling of as if my rocket is floating and not gripping the road fully. On the same turns with my Avons, I could go on higher speeds by at least 20-30kms and still feel the total control of the bike. I have no problems in leaning the bike, all the way both on highway speeds as well as slow speed maneuvers. I could have gone with the smaller front tire, but I have fairing so, I opted for 150. But with 150 also, I feel the bike very easy to handle. I can't be happier.
Thanks to Tripp for sharing information with me.

A wider tire doesn't really help in the twisties. Wider tires means you have to really wrestle the bike down. If you want better handling and haven't yet mounted aftermarket rear shocks, that should be a priority. With Progressive 444 HD on mine there was a night and day difference. Fully loaded down the bike tended to show wallowing tendencies, and the KYB shocks are basically oversprung and underdampened.

I don't think the 200 will hurt much, but I really don't think it will help either.

Also make sure you get a thinner profile on the 200 than what's stock with the 180, tires expand when you ride, and a 200 will be taller than a 180.
why did you go with the HD? I go about 300 lbs with everything I carry in the bags. They say 350 for the HDs Im ready to pull the plug but don't want an overly harsh ride

On R3T, no matter how much I throw it on the turns, I could never touch the foot boards. Lately I have noticed another thing. I bought this used with 7000 kms on it, when I compared it to a new one in the showroom that seemed lot lower than mine. I checked the rear shock and it is 13.5 inch, looks like the Rider before me had a higher suspension, this could be the reason.

The original shocks on my '08 were 13½". I replaced them with 12" shocks from Suspension Technologies USA. Handles good. Looks much better.

Hey Billy. Have you run the 140 front tire? I can't find 1 manufacturer with a 140 16" front tire please share! I have a 2013 with 16" wheels and keep hearing the ABS will give problems with anything other than 150 out front. If you've tried the 140 and you have Abs I really want to know!
Thanks a lot

There are plenty of great threads on here with tire recommendations. Triumph put the 180 on the back to increase handling performance. Maybe you should just go darkside. I have ridden with a couple of Rocketeers that have and I see no loss in performance. The other quick note is putting a 140 on the front.

I just got my bike in April so am putting up with the Metz for now, but changing out the tires is going to happen over the winter.

Hey Billy. Have you run the 140 front tire? I can't find 1 manufacturer with a 140 16" front tire please share! I have a 2013 with 16" wheels and keep hearing the ABS will give problems with anything other than 150 out front. If you've tried the 140 and you have Abs I really want to know!
Thanks a lot

130/90/16 commander is even better. That’s what I’m running.

Back