200 Tire on Touring

Discussion in 'Rocket III Touring Forum' started by TorontoRider, Aug 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cr0ft

cr0ftLiving Legend

Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    Triumph Rocket III Touring 2010
    A wider tire doesn't really help in the twisties. Wider tires means you have to really wrestle the bike down. If you want better handling and haven't yet mounted aftermarket rear shocks, that should be a priority. With Progressive 444 HD on mine there was a night and day difference. Fully loaded down the bike tended to show wallowing tendencies, and the KYB shocks are basically oversprung and underdampened.

I don't think the 200 will hurt much, but I really don't think it will help either.

Also make sure you get a thinner profile on the 200 than what's stock with the 180, tires expand when you ride, and a 200 will be taller than a 180.

Bedifferent, Tripps and TorontoRider like this.
  2. cr0ft

cr0ftLiving Legend

Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    I also think the fact that the bike has factory panniers factors in to why they redesigned the whole tail section on the Touring. The 240 on the Roadster is pretty pointless from a handling viewpoint, it's just there to look imposing. A 180 is plenty and it lets the Touring be considerably narrower around the rear end.

If you see a Roadster with panniers, they tend to be wide as buses back there because the 240 adds a lot of width.

TorontoRider likes this.
  3. 2012cliff

2012cliffSupercharged

Canada
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2008 tour
    Just put a 130 on the front. If you are looking for better handling this is the way to go. I was impressed.

BillyIndiana, TorontoRider and Tripps like this.
  4. TorontoRider

TorontoRider.040 Over

Canada
    Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    But isn't a few extra pounds and more prominent curves at the back always attractive....what is wrong with u guys who like skinny and slim back...

5. Tripps

TrippsRetired superhero

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    R3T,Sprintona,K1200,r65,cbr1000rr, Blackbird
    Do not put a car tire on it if you want better handling, LOL.

6. TorontoRider

TorontoRider.040 Over

Canada
    Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    So finally, I did put a 200 MT on my Rocket. I went with Avon Cobras, 150x80x16 front and 200x60x16 rear. Boy, what a change. I had Metzeler 880 prior to this. The choice was Metzeler 888 or Avon Cobras. Avon had better warranty, so that was the choice. Now about the ride.
    Well, I did not feel any problem in handling, in fact, I found these to be excellent on slow speed and high speed both. While taking long sharp turns on highway, the 880 would give me a feeling of as if my rocket is floating and not gripping the road fully. On the same turns with my Avons, I could go on higher speeds by at least 20-30kms and still feel the total control of the bike. I have no problems in leaning the bike, all the way both on highway speeds as well as slow speed maneuvers. I could have gone with the smaller front tire, but I have fairing so, I opted for 150. But with 150 also, I feel the bike very easy to handle. I can't be happier.
    Thanks to Tripp for sharing information with me.

7. kingmerle

kingmerlechild of the king

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    08 R3T
    why did you go with the HD? I go about 300 lbs with everything I carry in the bags. They say 350 for the HDs Im ready to pull the plug but don't want an overly harsh ride

8. Prestaged

Prestaged.040 Over

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2008 R3T
    The original shocks on my '08 were 13½". I replaced them with 12" shocks from Suspension Technologies USA. Handles good. Looks much better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice