What have you done when performance headers too hot?

The best thing I have seen is what Allen Mallard (guy in England with the viper v10 bike) did to stop exhaust heat.
I saved a video of it somewhere on my ph, but basically he used the fake rocks used in gas fire places & sliced them thin & glued them under the heat shield's he made.
Absolutely brilliant & no heat problems 👌
Obviously you would need to get heat shield's made for where your legs get hot.

Have a watch on utube...you can see him holding a slice on his finger with a blowtorch on opposite side without burning or even feeling the heat 👍👍👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221116-184550_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20221116-184550_YouTube.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221116_184630.jpg
    20221116_184630.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 12
Nice Ishrub...some things I just scratch my head with, re downloading videos...hence why I am bald 👀😅
Thanks for sharing that is probably the 'best proof of concept' vid re the heat shield fix and the rest is just awesome!👍
Lava rock is very porous and hardly holds heat at all.
With its hard-wearing, non-combustible and UV stable (amongst other things) properties, volcanic rock is an ideal material for insulation.
Lava Rocks are porous rocks, which have been used for thousands of years to absorb and retain heat. It is an excellent thermal mass material that slowly releases the stored energy into the environment. This property makes them perfect candidates as insulators in gas Fireplaces or any other radiant heating systems.

Maybe an easy way is to apply exhaust glue he is using to steel and then add crushed granuled Lava Rock will make the application a hell of a lot easier.

If you find the glue really sticks you could smooth/shape the inside surface of the heat shield with the knife grinder wheel on a bench grinder.

!https://www.amazon.com/sspa/click?ie=UTF8&spc=MTo4OTIwMTExMjE0NjA4MDk5OjE2Njg2MDE2NjY6c3BfYXRmOjIwMDAxMTY2MTgwNDI1MTo6MDo6&url=/Midwest-Hearth-Natural-Granules-Fireplaces/dp/B01L4HJPSA/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=Gas+Fireplace+Rocks&qid=1668601666&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

1668601881004.png
1668601908483.png

I have found some lava rock in the back yard from a junked gas trolley BBQ that I had saved the cast iron plate, undertray and grill from from so I may try it out as a concept.

Last edited:
Yes, the pipes will or are already ceramic coated inside and out and dyno tuned which makes them fine for general riding conditions but as per @1olbull and my earlier posts it is in high temperature climates in very slow traffic or extended stop light situations where the less heat felt the better and I'm not planning to ride in shorts or bootless anytime soon either.

Back