Viking by Paul Bryant

I was about to ask if no one with Viking header showed up at RAA East... I thought I read Mully was there, did you miss hearing his?

I honestly can't hear my exhaust over the Ramair to weigh in on the sound.
Mully’s pipe sold me on the Viking by Paul. I did hear his pipe and rode directly behind him for while. He can ride fo sho. I can tell by listening to him drive that he rides like I do.:D:D Hard on and hard off just the thrill of it.:thumbsup:The Supertrap muffler was nice and small but the sound is not what I am looking for.

Check with Lushy, he does a nice drop in, bolt in cam, that requires pretty much the absolute minimum amount of fuss to get working right.

Price is good, if I recall right it's good for about 8-10 whp, paired with a good header it'll make fantastic power across the whole RPM range.

Honestly, I'd strongly suggest the Carpenter clutch springs. Much stronger than others, but not horrid on the hand.
You think Carpenter springs are a better choice than a Barnett clutch? Or just as good for less $?

Carpenter Springs, otherwise stock clutch is holding up just fine on my bike and I don't ride it gently...

Cheaper, easier, and OEM, not sure why you'd go with Barnett over some drop in springs that will not only do it better, but are known to hold at least 200lb-ft easily.

Carpenter Springs, otherwise stock clutch is holding up just fine on my bike and I don't ride it gently...

Cheaper, easier, and OEM, not sure why you'd go with Barnett over some drop in springs that will not only do it better, but are known to hold at least 200lb-ft easily.
Good to hear. Since I’m doing some suspension upgrades also I can use the money there. I received a lot of great information at the event. There was some real knowledge and experience at that place.

That Warp dude is a hoot but seriously knowledgeable. Speedy knows suspensions. Steel is a power whore Elite.

Yep, pretty much a spot on description of what I've gathered of the three of them over the years :p

I look forward to the day, so very much, when I can finally get out and ride with Steel and two of the rarest breed of Rocket 3 can ride of into the unknown (at absurd speeds).

The only thing I wish Carpenter Racing had done... serialized badges for their kits. I desperately want to know how many 265 kits are in the wild.

I have a Viking header with a SuperTrapp muffler. The muffler has the off-road end-cap. It is louder than some would like. Still quieter than most Harleys though.

Benefits:
- Beautifully made. I haven't seen another exhaust made this well.
- Light weight. I didn't weigh the original or the new system, but you can feel that the bike is much lighter.
- Power. Some systems might develop more peak power. This system develops extra power from idle to the red line. Most will develop more power at the top end. On a standard (or lightly modified engine) the pipe does exactly what I wanted.
- Tucked in. It is as far from your leg as possible.

Disadvantages:
- Heat. If no tune or the wrong tune is applied the system is very hot. Properly tuned it is better still hot, but not as bad. This is not a criticism of the Viking in particular. All systems without a heat shield are hot. I am looking at wrapping the exhaust to reduce the heat. If Paul made a heat shield (hint, hint) I would buy one.
- Cost: I think they are great value considering the workmanship and how well they improve the bike. But like all systems they cost a bit.
- Nothing else I can think of.

I would definitely buy another one if I damage it or get another Rocket. No question. The pros far outweigh the cons.

I have a pair of Lush 'drop-in' cams (drop-in is to say one need not remove the head - still plenty of bolts and care in aligning things to keep things interesting) in the garage, and in six weeks or so hope to report on the outcome.

I only write here because at one point I was going to go with the Carpenter springs. After three non-returned phone calls to Carpenter, and Nev telling me he's worked on several bikes with more power than I'm contemplating that have the stock clutch with no problems, I figure I'll pass the springs for now, and if I need 'em, when I need 'em, those can be added with no penalty.

Thanks Boony and Paul It sounds like a system that I would be happy with.

After the RAA east event and listening to differing members opinions on pipes and mods I’m leaning towards the @Paul Bryant pipe and just a stage one for now. Torque biased cams by Nevil Lush could be in the future. On my mountain roads here in TN, KY and VA the high reving Carpenter system may be unusable most of the time. I did not want to hear this from guys like Warp but I had to admit it is true.

My question is who is running this pipe and what do you like or not like about it? How much does it cost? Is it difficult to get to the states? Does he offer different pipes and does he make a muffler for the header. It like a total exhaust system and prefer a deep tone similar to the TORS that I have on it now.

Thanks for all comments.

Mel.
IMG_0418.JPG There it is the complete system. Love it. Not over bearing loud. Has a nice grunt if you hit it. With the Ramair and the pipes it sounds great. IMG_0364 (1).JPG IMG_0370.JPG plenty of leg room. The local law enforcement here in Oklahoma kind of frown on 150 miles per hour down the highway so we just don't do that very often but in the norm of regular riding the pipes do provide a noticeable difference in power and torque. Cons (NONE) Did install a Barrnet clutch and noticed a big difference over stock. Bike is not modified that much and the springs that came with the clutch work great. Very happy with it. Oh and by the way you still owe me a few beers.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

IMG_0418.JPG There it is the complete system. Love it. Not over bearing loud. Has a nice grunt if you hit it. With the Ramair and the pipes it sounds great. IMG_0364 (1).JPG IMG_0370.JPG plenty of leg room. The local law enforcement here in Oklahoma kind of frown on 150 miles per hour down the highway so we just don't do that very often but in the norm of regular riding the pipes do provide a noticeable difference in power and torque. Cons (NONE) Did install a Barrnet clutch and noticed a big difference over stock. Bike is not modified that much and the springs that came with the clutch work great. Very happy with it. Oh and by the way you still owe me a few beers.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
You never came to Stearns to collect them.:p

That is the exact same system that I am buying. 12-14 weeks wait time DARN!!!!!!

Back