baffles in paul bryant exhaust with headers?

hoopla

Mained to ride!
Ride
2022 Rocket 3 GT
So I really like the looks of the headers and exhaust system, performance is good too,not to mention the system saves 25lbs over the stock, however the bug is wifey is sensitive to the sound and refuses to wear ear plugs.
With winter nearly upon us, I'm considering some baffling of the exhaust.,

So my first question is will this totally ruin the effect of the header and free flowing exhaust stream, or just set it back some?
Traditionally, baffles are inserted in the rear most part of the muffler, is there a better spot, convienence is not a problem.

Any suggestions on the baffle brand? I prefer a thud of sound as opposed to a crack. Again I just want to tone it down a bit, what's best if you have an opinion.
Thanks,

Hoopla

check with Big Thunder Baffles, they are in the states, they might have something for you, or might possibly be able to make something for you. I have the Vance/Hynce (however you spell it) short shots on my Harley, I called them regarding a set of baffles for it and they had them, but referred me over to Big Thunder, glad they did, bike sounds and runs way better than it ever has

So I really like the looks of the headers and exhaust system, performance is good too,not to mention the system saves 25lbs over the stock, however the bug is wifey is sensitive to the sound and refuses to wear ear plugs.
With winter nearly upon us, I'm considering some baffling of the exhaust.,

So my first question is will this totally ruin the effect of the header and free flowing exhaust stream, or just set it back some?
Traditionally, baffles are inserted in the rear most part of the muffler, is there a better spot, convienence is not a problem.

Any suggestions on the baffle brand? I prefer a thud of sound as opposed to a crack. Again I just want to tone it down a bit, what's best if you have an opinion.
Thanks,

Hoopla

Hi Hoopla

I got had the same issue after running with the header and single pipe for an 850km (520miles) run one day it was pretty droning and annoying. I got Paul to weld in a perforated baffle half way down the tube, this helped massively. Also I changed my helmet to a Shoei GT Air, this is the quietest helmet I have ever owned for road noise and the engine etc, I do not wear earplugs anymore but used to.

I had considered asking Paul to put another couple of baffles in to direct the sound around into the outer chamber and back in but the first one really solved the issue. This si easy for me as Paul is 25 mins down the road and a regular stop.

I noticed virtually no drop in performance as it is still very free flowing with no matting inside the muffler it just killed the drone on constant touring revs. Still very loud when wound on.

So there's two options here.
One is to simply wrap the (removable) baffle tubes with Fibre Glass matt, this will burn out after a period of time, but will deaden the sound somewhat.
Secondly is to do what I did with Sleeves baffle tube.
What I did there was take a piece of the perforated tube that the baffle tube is, cut is open and flatten it out, cut it into a circle and tack welded it part way down the baffle tube.
I'd suggest the wrapping first and see how that goes.

So there's two options here.
One is to simply wrap the (removable) baffle tubes with Fibre Glass matt, this will burn out after a period of time, but will deaden the sound somewhat.
Secondly is to do what I did with Sleeves baffle tube.
What I did there was take a piece of the perforated tube that the baffle tube is, cut is open and flatten it out, cut it into a circle and tack welded it part way down the baffle tube.
I'd suggest the wrapping first and see how that goes.
Also the SS steelo pad stuff we put in helped and was better than fibreglass but did pack up one end still. Wont blow out though.

Back