Tuning Intercooled Supercharged R3

Intercooling provides significant benefits to both Superchargers and Turbo setups. The most significant advantage to intercooling is the increased detonation threshold because of the cooler air charge. This means you can run more ignition advance for higher performance, run more boost, or run lower octane fuel before experiencing detonation. This is especially desirable on street bikes that run pump fuel. :cool:

Actually, the proper term is 'charge air cooled'. When you compress the air with the turbocharger or supercharger you heat the air just like your shop air compressor does. When you heat the air above ambient temperature it becomes less dense. Now, even though you've pressurized the charge air either by employing a parasitic supercharger or an exhaust gas turbocharger, it's less dense and it's temperature is higher so your baseline EGR increases accordingly. While substantial power gains can be realized with a non charge air cooled system, cooling the intake air down as close to ambient as you can get it corresponds to more power gain. The one instrument that I would insist on with any turbocharged setup is an exhaust gas pyrometer with the stinger as located somewhere between the exhaust port and the hot side of the turbocharger to monitor EGR temperatures. Normally, any EGR temperatures sustained above 1200 degrees Fahrenheit will begin to do detrimental things to pistons, rings and cylinder bores.

I second the EGT for turbo applications... you won't find a turbo-charged aircraft without one. IMO another essential for uber HP R3s is a wide band A/F sensor with digital display, ideally with data logging. I use the WEGO2 from Daytona Sensors. Also, NEVER trust the tunes that come with these kits (turbo & supercharger) to be correct for your bike... the A/Fs can be dangerously incorrect. :eek:

Back