Triumph Quit Ignoring Your Ignition Problems

The driving lights using the factory installation kit (and most, if not all, US Touring models come already equipped with them) do not pull that current through the key-switch, but have their own relay (you can find that relay located under the tank, right behind the steering head - it is not located with the other relays behind the side panel)

There are lots of threads and info on LED options on the site - from the superlative JW Speaker Lamp Modules to lower-cost Chinese items and simply 'bulb' replacements.

The driving lights using the factory installation kit (and most, if not all, US Touring models come already equipped with them) do not pull that current through the key-switch, but have their own relay (you can find that relay located under the tank, right behind the steering head - it is not located with the other relays behind the side panel)

There are lots of threads and info on LED options on the site - from the superlative JW Speaker Lamp Modules to lower-cost Chinese items and simply 'bulb' replacements.

Thanks again, DEcosse. You've been a big help.

It's funny but I had sent a question about this to Triumph USA to get clarification and the response I got denied that they had any knowledge of every having any ignition switch problems. I'll assume that the person who responded just didn't know about the problem because they've been forthright and helpful with a couple questions I had when I bought the bike. On the other hand, it was obvious that the person who responded to my question didn't actually read it based on their answer.

... the response I got denied that they had any knowledge of every having any ignition switch problems .....
Of course they WILL deny this :roll:
- to recognize it (publicly) means they would have to have a remedial plan.
But they most certainly KNOW about it and IMO there is irrefutable evidence that they knew:
- when the Roadster was first introduced, the power scheme for the headlights/key-switch was essentially identical to the Std/Classic; however they subsequently introduced a recall retrofit to those first-year Roadster models to have a relay installed to divert the headlight current out of the key-switch, by-passing it. And the change was permanently incorporated into Production models. So they cannot possibly suggest they simply re-thought their scheme there, that it was 'just a good idea'.
What is disappointing is that the same retrofit COULD have been extended to the Std/Classics - but it was NOT!

Headlight_Relay_Roadster.jpg

The Headlight Power circuit for the various models is shown above:
The scheme for the Std/Classic (AND indeed the Touring) is the same as the '2010' Roadster - Fuse 9 gets its current via the key-switch and therefor all the current for the headlights is supplied via the key-switch.
(the difference for the Touring is that it only powers a single headlight so the current is lower.)

The recall retrofit, adds a new relay (this is a dealer executed recall retro) and the current for the headlights now is no longer is sourced via the key-switch, but from an auxiliary fuse connected directly to the battery.

The bottom scheme for production bikes for 2011 is similar (subtle difference) - Fuse 5 comes from constant power in the OEM Fuse Panel, so no external fused supply is required; Fuse 8 comes via the key-switch but is now only providing low current.

The subtle difference between the recall retro and the later production incorporation is to do with the starter solenoid current: the starter solenoid actually draws about 9A!
When the starter is operated, the relay redirects current from the headlights to the starter (this is so that the headlights are turned off during starting process to remove that load for improved starting);
In the std, early Roadster AND recall version, that solenoid current comes through the key-switch;
On the 'late model' with factory wiring, the starter solenoid current does not come through the key-switch, but also from the constant power Fuse 5.
Now - the starter current is only of short duration and relatively infrequent use compared to the headlights; but the latest scheme is 'better' because it removes even that short duration load from the key-switch completely. (I have actually provided details elsewhere of how the retrofit could have just as easily mirrored the production scheme EXACTLY)

Back to your Touring:
As stated above, that scheme mirrors the Std/Classic and 'early' Roadster; so both the headlight current AND the Solenoid current have to be supplied via the key-switch;
but the important differentiation is that
a) the headlight current is significantly less - only one lamp
b) (not a differentiation but a clarification) the solenoid current is of infrequent application and of limited duration.

So that is essentially why the Touring Key-Switches don't exhibit failure compared to the high-rate failure of the classics.
Note that I would personally not classify the Touring scheme as a 'problem' so IMO not fiar to expect Triumph to accept any liability or provide any assistance on those models
However you can, if you want to improve the reliability further, employ one of the ideas proposed previously i.e. LED headlight, or the relay bypass I linked (which is essentially the same as the Roadster mod)
The relay just diverts the current; the LED will offer significant lighting improvement. The ultimate there would be the JW Speaker 8790 Adaptive - not inexpensive however at ~ $800!! The non-adaptive 8700 version is a much better value at ~ $250. (Chinese copies from about $60)

Last edited:
I am starting this thread and plan to take the post and pass it on the triumph as one big complaint. this is for Ignition switch failure Only So give me your stories.

I will start by giving you mine and you can join in.

I took off on a Friday afternoon for what appeared to be the perfect holiday weekend for a getaway with my wife. Everything was going great the weather was perfect and the roads were great we were on US 421 in Manchester Ky making good time. We were trying to get across the mountain and to our destination, Johnson City Tn before dark. We pulled into a station for fuel and a Bio break and then ready to hit the road. I went to start my my bike and had no power to anything except the horn. My wife was waiting at the edge of the parking lot on her Harley Sportster ready to ride. I tried wiggling the key, checked the cut off switch, and did the usual things you do to get your bike started and still nothing. At this time I had wore out my welcome at the gas pump and the line was getting longer. So I pushed my bike out of the way and told the wife I was having problems. She parked her Harley and asked me what was wrong ? I told her I am sure it was something simple and assured her we would be back on the road in no time. I had just put a new battery on the bike for this trip so I assumed I did not have the connections tight and one must have worked lose. I removed the seat and the connections were fine. I checked the voltage on the battery with a meter and it was fine. By the way I highly suggest if you have a rocket get a cheap meter that checks voltage and continuity and keep it on the bike, I was lucky there was a guy in the parking lot with one. So i determined the battery was OK so i assumed it was a fuse. I proceeded to check the continuity on all the fuses one by one they checked out OK. I cursed and told the wife that the quick fix just became a little more complex and I was going to have to raise the tank. So off I went, removing the windscreen, removing the chrome around the switch housing, pulled the gauges, and raised the tank. I checked the voltage going into the switch and it was good I turned the key on and checked to see if there was voltage on any of the other wires in the harness there was none. At this time I was pretty sure it was the switch and by this time an hour had passed. I started calling people from the site I knew have had this trouble before and asked for suggestions. While I was waiting for a call back I decided I was sure it was the switch and I should go get the supplies needed to bypass before the stores closed. Now come the worse part I had to ask the wife if I could borrow her Harley to go to the auto parts store and I caught myself using a phrase I never though I would say "Thank God For Harley's". So I climbed aboard my wife's sportster 883 low and began my ride of shame to the parts store. by the way for those of you that have never meet me I am not the smallest person in the world and I am sure me riding this 883 looked like a bear humping a dog. So i get the the parts store and started browsing, by the way if you own a rocket I suggest you take good notes because this shopping list will come in handy some day if triumph continues to ignore the problem. I purchased a roll of electrical tape, Wire nuts, Wirestriper/crimpers, 14 gauge wire, and a toggle switch and mounted the Harley one more time and headed back to the stations. While I was gone I got the call I was looking for from NMrocket and he assured me he could walk be through the bypass and get me back on the road. So I put 12" leads on the switch and ran and ran them from under the bearclaw so I could access the switch and it still be hidden. Then I cut the wiring harness and instructed and completed the wiring and tested. I now had power so I reassembled the bike, did I mention that installing the bear claw is a pain in the arse. By this time it was 9:00 pm and we still had about 3 hours to ride most of it in BFE. So we opted to ride a little closer and get a room for the night in the thriving metropolis of hazard Ky were we had the pleasuring of staying in the worse motel ever.

Thanks Triumph for not doing an official recall on the switch that eventually left me stranded as it has a good percentage of rocket owners.

Sincerely

Your not so loyal Customer
Steve Cowherd

I want to encourage all of you to be the biggest PITA to Triumph management that you can be. In my 16 years of riding the Yamaha Roadstar, vocal activist owners like you guys pressed the issue with Yamaha and after a year of constant denials, they capitulated (due to the NHTSA involvement) and finally issued a recall. Yours is a simple matter compared to Yamaha's tranny problem. Triumph ought to step up!

My ignition went in and out for about a year.....started at around 30k miles.......
The thing would be dead......but 10-20 minutes later it would start......

Dealer replaced the ignition...think it was $600 US or so......was not happy about
hearing it was a common (and ignored) problem.......

Thanks so much for that most excellent tutorial. I'm going to implement both solutions. I have an Eastern Beaver headlight relay and a an LED H4 replacement bulb. Just have to install them.

You know but it is not just Triumph. I have a VStrom and starter switch failure is also an issue on those forums. The headlight relay seems to be the recommended solution too.

Last edited:
A lot of folks seem to be upset with the short comings of the Rocket. Ten years plus in the production line and can say have no complaints about the Rocket X. 38,000 miles and not even a hiccup. Just normal wear and tear. My dad who has never rode a bike asked me the first time he saw the Rocket X was "How you going to top that? He has watched me since we were 17 years old ride bikes as a means of transportation. He knows nothing about bikes but was very impressed with the Rocket. I still almost three years later have no idea how to answer his question. Don't think it can be done. :):):):):):)

Howdy Boys and Girls,

I love this community!

If I have to remove my gas tank and or clam shell to resolve my no cooling fan problem, I have the EB wire harness bookmarked and ready to order. I did notice that my instrument lights would flicker and tach not sweep, jiggle the key and it would start. I take this as a symptom of my ignition switch failing. So, the EB wires provide power and not the switch, I completed this same job on my 94 bronco any members with older cars or trucks take note that this problem exists in say mid 90 vehicles.

My questions,

Order replacement Triump ign switch
Read a post about using a Harley switch, which switch (sorry)

And does this mean that two keys required, ign and seat lock?

Thanks

Tom

Back