Triumph Quit Ignoring Your Ignition Problems

I've been having a problem for the last month where i press my starter button and nothing happens. After about 4 or 5 presses it starts up. Sometimes it starts fine.
All the lights and dials for fine. its just the starter button.

I was just about to start a topic for advice when i found this thread.

I don't want to read 35 pages.. Can anyone just tell me what the main problem is and what i can do about it.

I have a 2011 Rocket Roadster.

If it's just your starter button, I'd say it's gunked up and dirty inside. This thread was about much more in depth issues with very different symptoms. For yours, I'd start be taking the switch casing apart and cleaning the contacts.

Well to be honest you first have to check the usual thing like cables for corrosion and lack of contact. Could even be in the harness plug.
If it's just your starter button, I'd say it's gunked up and dirty inside. This thread was about much more in depth issues with very different symptoms. For yours, I'd start be taking the switch casing apart and cleaning the contacts.
don't drop the spring inside it. other then that it is simple to clean. check the plugs on the harness and of course the battery cables BOTH ENDS They may look good until you pull them off for a better look.

I just ran into the same problem with my Triumph Tiger 955i... Turning left and right kills the power. Left me stranded. Wiggling the wiring under the ignition was a temporary fix.
I'll take it apart and update as to the cause. I'm thinking it's just broken solder / wiring. Pain in the @$$
UkixJGLR5Q9jy4Kn9
https://goo.gl/photos/UkixJGLR5Q9jy4Kn9

I hate to ask such a dumb question but here goes: I have a 2015 R3T. I haven't had an ignition problem but I ran across this thread and see that it is obviously a very common problem. I take long rides and do not want to be stranded like I was on my recent trip (another story). I just got back from a 6,000 mile trip and will be off on a 2,000 mile trihe problem is that after reading those pages, I'm still not sure what EB kit to order. The information is probably in the thread somewhere but I don't want to read 65 pages. Has this problem been rectified on newer Rockets? Assuminmg it hasn't, what kit should I order? A link would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, DEcosse. Good to know. Is this issue something that was fixed with late model Touring bikes? I ask because I see that people with Touring bikes have had this problem. For example, the fifth post in this thread (page 1) is by a 2009 Touring owner who had the problem and the eighth post on page one is by a guy who had the problem with (I assume)his 2014 Touring unless he is talking about a Rocket he owned previously. I didn't read on but it looks like Touring owners have had this problem too.

Last edited:
#8 post was written in 2011, before his 2014 was even built; so he must be referring to his Classic in his list of owned bikes

#5 I am sceptical of, however that is what was reported

The Touring has a single headlight and pushing only about 5A through the key-switch circuit
The Std/Classic (which is the only model which has the issue) has to supply twin headlights, so pushing 2x as much current
The Roadster bypasses key-switch completely.

In the Touring:
If you install an LED in place of the OEM bulb, you will reduce the current load by ~ 50% (or 25% of level of a Std/Classic)
Conversely however, someone running a 100W bulb will have increased their risk to about the same as the Std/Classic

Here is another much simpler alternative than full twin relay kit, if you REALLY want to bypass the key-switch headlight current completely - R3T Key-Switch Bypass Option

OR - go with KeyLess Ignition System :D

Last edited:
Thanks, Decosse. Good information.

I did read through almost all the posts yesterday and there is some conflicting information so I appreciate your response. That clears a lot up. Yesterday I emailed a question to Triumph USA. I'll post their reply if I get one. They've been very good about getting back to me with a couple other questions I had when I first bought the bike.

I just ran across one of your older posts where you mentioned that the driving lights on an R3T could be an issue. I do have driving lights. That being the case, do you recommend the relay modification?

BTW, where can i get the LED bulb? That sounds like a good idea.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back