Tranny update kit

steve59

Nitrous
Ride
2016 KTM 1290 SDR SE. 2012 K1600 GTL Schwinn S-30
My 06 has the sweetest motor iv'e ever ridden, virtually 0 mechanical noise, purrs I love it. 2nd gear is taking it's sweet time engaging now and I hope someone can tell me if there was a recall for the 06. I am thinking of moving over to the touring but can't in good conscience sell this one because it might be getting ready to grenade. reading a lot on this forum about it(tranny) and understand less than when I started. I can no longer put my dealers kids thru college. how can triumph call something an update and charge for it! if anyone's navigated the system and can talk me and the rest of us 06 owners thru it many thanks.

Not all bikes developed any problems with the tranny. Triumph does change things as the years go on so for the early years they developed a update kit which was installed if for some reason a bike in the vin numbers selected had to be opened up the vin number range listed on the kit was 000000 to 337294. Like I said there are plenty 05 models out there that have not had any issues. Of course if you follow issues like the output drive which components are in the lit. someone on the assembly line was drinking to much warm beer /ale for lunch and installed one of the bearing backwards. Of course this bloke did not assemble every output drive which is why not every early model had issues. Sometimes human error creeps in. Especially if its a UNION organizations as they are more worried about increasing their pay then doing a proper job. This is also why Janitors get paid as much as Journeyman mechanics who had to spend a lot of time training for their trade when they could have just been swabbing toilet bowls instead !!!!!

ouch, warp your republican is showing, not all us union guys drink warm ale and most of us don't even know what the lawyers are negiotiating, but I will agree as wages go up pressure shifts from quality to production even so at the end of the day qc is a seperate entity and has to sign off on everything b4 anybody gets paid.
union carpenter 20 yrs, scab carpenter 13 and counting.

ouch, warp your republican is showing, not all us union guys drink warm ale and most of us don't even know what the lawyers are negiotiating, but I will agree as wages go up pressure shifts from quality to production even so at the end of the day qc is a seperate entity and has to sign off on everything b4 anybody gets paid.
union carpenter 20 yrs, scab carpenter 13 and counting.
The warm ale was meant for the guys on the other side of the pond. In the USA union or not we all drink beer cold as it was intended to be. And actually I voted Democrat the last 3 times. I really do not care about republican or democrat I just vote for who I thought could do the job right. After doing two apprenticeships totaling 18,000 hours and seeing how union guys can just go buy their books now and Bam they are a Journeyman has soured my opinion of them. I have been both Union and Management and can say without a doubt both side has some lazy ***s !!!!!!! Where I work at the UNION seems like gang orientated activities :D Hell you can piss the wrong color and if your in the union they will fight like hell to save your job but if your management your out the door. It does not matter that most of our residents are dope dealers/users and if you can get away with that what happens when you decide to bring a weapon in and it ends up killing one of our own. Will the UNION fight for that also? I am not good with that !!!!!

Back to update kit. You can buy the update kit for $209. It has about $2000 worth of parts in it to update about 8 different things. My local dealer charges 16 hours at $82.50 to install. So with oil, filter, antifreeze and shop supplies I'd say about $1700 would cover it all. Then you can just get a nice set of Corbin bags and fairing and save $17,000 on the Touring.

BTW: No recalls for the tranny.

Back to update kit. You can buy the update kit for $209. It has about $2000 worth of parts in it to update about 8 different things. My local dealer charges 16 hours at $82.50 to install. So with oil, filter, antifreeze and shop supplies I'd say about $1700 would cover it all. Then you can just get a nice set of Corbin bags and fairing and save $17,000 on the Touring.

BTW: No recalls for the tranny.
Also according to Rocket Scientist the update kits are dwindling down in the USA. I am not sure if they will be restocked. Hopefully they will but I bet they will discontinue them so they can make more money selling the parts individually. Of course I hope I am wrong and will try to buy one just to keep in stock on my shelf along with my 2011 tranny, output drive, and extra differential and drive shaft.

Hi guys I am in australia can I get an update kit here or do I have to buy one from the states have an 05 model nothing wrong yet only 25000 klms

Especially if its a UNION organizations as they are more worried about increasing their pay then doing a proper job.

I seem to find myself discussing politics way too much here and should probably let this go, but.. how else are working stiffs going to get passable treatment except by joining together and demanding it?

Trusting in the benevolence and love of the world's owners which is the other option doesn't really work out that well. Unions are what has given average workers higher wages, greater benefits, reduced work hours, and improved work conditions among many other things... that they have also derailed on occasion or been taken over by criminals doesn't mean unions are optional. But as with anything else, good people can't stand idly by and let bad ones take over.

I seem to find myself discussing politics way too much here and should probably let this go, but.. how else are working stiffs going to get passable treatment except by joining together and demanding it?

Trusting in the benevolence and love of the world's owners which is the other option doesn't really work out that well. Unions are what has given average workers higher wages, greater benefits, reduced work hours, and improved work conditions among many other things... that they have also derailed on occasion or been taken over by criminals doesn't mean unions are optional. But as with anything else, good people can't stand idly by and let bad ones take over.

Valid point!!!!!

I have been a member of two separate unions for a total of about 18 yrs between them.

There's a lot to be said about the pros and cons of Unions, too much in fact to be listed here without completely hijacking this whole thread ;)

I'll just say for me in my life, I've done a lot better working for non union companies who appreciate the value of a good employee. And try to hang on to these employees by offering fair wages and benefits.

I also enjoy working with my bosses in achieving a common goal, more so than having to deal with the us against them mentality that is inherent with so many Unions.

Last edited:
Back