'14 R3R tranny blew up (46,000 miles)

Glad to hear that, it's impossible to spot micro-cracks or other potential pitfalls of reusing that engine. Much safer idea to just start fresh really.

That quote is hilarious, such a shame about the particulars of the dry sump design being vulnerable to high-angle monos. The lower power-ups are not a threat, cannot count how many times I've done them where it hovers 1-2 feet off the ground in 1,2,3.

How far are you from Carpenter? I only ask for future valve train inspection/clearance checks. I suggest getting the 1st check post build done at 5,000 miles....
Great advice. I'm about 3 hours south of Carpenter, so I'll definitely swing by for check ups. I regularly drive through the area up to NY so it shouldn't be a problem stopping in for engine checks/service (one of the only nice things about being on the East Coast).

So I'm abandoning the current engine. No point in a teardown and forensics. Triumph didn't want to help beyond a small discount on parts if the repair was performed at a dealer. 18 months later Triumph corporate called me about my NHTSA complaint... they asked me a couple yes/no questions, then asked if I had taken the bike to a dealer for inspection; when I said no, they were done questioning and said goodbye.

The plan is for Carpenter to source a used replacement engine, rebuild it with the 240 hp package, undercut the gears at Robinson, do some other preventative maintenance items, and get a solid bike for the next 46,000 miles. Those guys are crazy busy. I got a small tour of the operations, mostly prepping race bikes. Apparently you can't even remove the valve cover without removing the engine from the new Rocket 3s and they're a PITA to work on. And there was another ~'14-'15 R III that was on its fourth engine replacement for too many wheelies...

I should have this back on the road by the end of Sept. Now what to do with the Boss Hoss... anyone interested?

Boss Hoss.jpg
@tribal will be back from Alaska soon, he might finally want to upgrade his camper trailer to a Caravan! ;) 🤔:roll::roll::roll:

That's the million-dollar question (or at least several thousand). A rock hit it? It definitely looks like it exploded from the inside out.
A bit late but you could make it fall off a trailer... I've seen such horrible sights on in-car vids so you tube would help finding a good way to ensure it happens - just as well my insurance policies are in my real name! ;) 🤔🤔:roll::roll:

Back