MadMike1216

Standard Bore
Ride
2006 Rocket 3 classic
Hello all. I have admitted defeat and will be trading in my 2006 R3 Classic. As I spent the weekend addressing issues like rear brake failure, pathetic lights and wonky electrical, I realized I can spend an entire motorcycle's worth of cash getting this to where I feel it's safe to operate, or I can trade it for something that works. I bought it last fall, only put about 500 miles on it before putting it up for winter (New Hampshire is no place for a motorcycle from November to March), and I was faced with this. Total failure, and because of it, I'll get to eat about 3 grand. Should have read this forum first. Good luck all.

Hello all. I have admitted defeat and will be trading in my 2006 R3 Classic. As I spent the weekend addressing issues like rear brake failure, pathetic lights and wonky electrical, I realized I can spend an entire motorcycle's worth of cash getting this to where I feel it's safe to operate, or I can trade it for something that works. I bought it last fall, only put about 500 miles on it before putting it up for winter (New Hampshire is no place for a motorcycle from November to March), and I was faced with this. Total failure, and because of it, I'll get to eat about 3 grand. Should have read this forum first. Good luck all.
How much you want for it?

I have the same bike and completely understand your well stated frustration and decision. I have, however, had better luck. I bought mine a few years ago with 23K on the odometer and now have added approx. 8000 miles to get to the 31K I now have on it. The only big pain in the butt was the ignition switch failure 2 weeks after I bought it. Like you, I really did not understand what I was getting into. None-the-less I have enjoyed my bike immensely . Oh, wait, there is also the odometer failure recently, good grief. I have tried selling the bike on Craig's list and eBay and all I have gotten for my time and trouble are scammers and crooks trying to get something for nothing. So, I have accepted the fact that I will never get anything for the bike , accept maybe by parting the bike out. I think I will keep it and my '08 Touring model till they completely drop and can't be resurrected. Heck, I'd take both of them to a Triumph dealer and let them humiliate me with a pathetic trade in value on a new bike but fact is I can't do that because they no longer make a bike that can handle my 6'3" height, my 14" feet, my 275 LB. weight or my 74 years of age. Surely there are many people like me on the planet that would love to see Triumph make a bike for our niche that is more reliable and less complicated.

I have the same bike and completely understand your well stated frustration and decision. I have, however, had better luck. I bought mine a few years ago with 23K on the odometer and now have added approx. 8000 miles to get to the 31K I now have on it. The only big pain in the butt was the ignition switch failure 2 weeks after I bought it. Like you, I really did not understand what I was getting into. None-the-less I have enjoyed my bike immensely . Oh, wait, there is also the odometer failure recently, good grief. I have tried selling the bike on Craig's list and eBay and all I have gotten for my time and trouble are scammers and crooks trying to get something for nothing. So, I have accepted the fact that I will never get anything for the bike , accept maybe by parting the bike out. I think I will keep it and my '08 Touring model till they completely drop and can't be resurrected. Heck, I'd take both of them to a Triumph dealer and let them humiliate me with a pathetic trade in value on a new bike but fact is I can't do that because they no longer make a bike that can handle my 6'3" height, my 14" feet, my 275 LB. weight or my 74 years of age. Surely there are many people like me on the planet that would love to see Triumph make a bike for our niche that is more reliable and less complicated.
As far as not knowing, I think it would be better to say I didn't realize the SCOPE of the issues with this bike. I have just about every issue that's been discussed on this forum. Brake fail, intermittent odometer, poor lights, electrical that might not work for no apparent reason, abnormal tire wear and it goes on. I can manage or repair a lot of it, but it's just not worth it. I had expected so much more from a builder as historical as Triumph, but the shocking quality of this machine is crushing. I'll accept the insultingly low offer I'll get and buy an Indian, or a Honda, or an old Victory....basically anything other than Triumph again.

Back