'14 R3R tranny blew up (46,000 miles)

Have your local shop contact Triumph USA and see what they say.
#2 you MUST report this to the NHTSA I believe that if everyone who has had a problem with the Rocket gearbox had reported the problem to NHTSA we would have had a recall done already, as said you are lucky nothing locked up and caused a serious injury but the next rider/passenger might not be so lucky.
Just sent a detailed report to the NHTSA. I'll keep you posted if anything comes of it.

After a 2 year hiatus, stay tuned...

Carpenter.jpg

Congrats, and good luck.

The story will be what was damaged internally. If all it did was eject out through the lower case and chew up the trans, the parts bill won't be too much (assuming you buy an eBay engine and steal a lower case 1/2 and trans).

In the less likely event something got flung the other direction as well, there's a case wall, crank, and crank journals directly in line with the hole....

I'm gonna guess you popped the circlip, sheared or shattered 4th, and ejected the 4th gear chunks. 4th output is, by far, the weakest gear in the system.

Hopefully you had some of my luck with breaking things where secondary damage didn't occur.

Just started to pull apart my son's classic.....worn dogs, won't stay in 2nd gear when throttle pinned.......now pops out if in 2nd and throttle is pushed beyond 1/4 throttle.....just glad my son stopped riding it before major damage. :rolleyes:

So I'm abandoning the current engine. No point in a teardown and forensics. Triumph didn't want to help beyond a small discount on parts if the repair was performed at a dealer. 18 months later Triumph corporate called me about my NHTSA complaint... they asked me a couple yes/no questions, then asked if I had taken the bike to a dealer for inspection; when I said no, they were done questioning and said goodbye.

The plan is for Carpenter to source a used replacement engine, rebuild it with the 240 hp package, undercut the gears at Robinson, do some other preventative maintenance items, and get a solid bike for the next 46,000 miles. Those guys are crazy busy. I got a small tour of the operations, mostly prepping race bikes. Apparently you can't even remove the valve cover without removing the engine from the new Rocket 3s and they're a PITA to work on. And there was another ~'14-'15 R III that was on its fourth engine replacement for too many wheelies...

I should have this back on the road by the end of Sept. Now what to do with the Boss Hoss... anyone interested?

Boss Hoss.jpg

Just started to pull apart my son's classic.....worn dogs, won't stay in 2nd gear when throttle pinned.......now pops out if in 2nd and throttle is pushed beyond 1/4 throttle.....just glad my son stopped riding it before major damage. :rolleyes:
Send the transmission to Robinson Industries and they'll get you squared away

And there was another ~'14-'15 R III that was on its fourth engine replacement for too many wheelies...
Glad to hear that, it's impossible to spot micro-cracks or other potential pitfalls of reusing that engine. Much safer idea to just start fresh really.

That quote is hilarious, such a shame about the particulars of the dry sump design being vulnerable to high-angle monos. The lower power-ups are not a threat, cannot count how many times I've done them where it hovers 1-2 feet off the ground in 1,2,3.

How far are you from Carpenter? I only ask for future valve train inspection/clearance checks. I suggest getting the 1st check post build done at 5,000 miles....

Back