Tranny issue??or just me

CamaroCarl

Get busy living or get busy dying.
Ride
2018 rocket3 roadster
So we had a beautiful day here in northwest Missouri, so I had to get the rocket out for a ride. 57 degrees, blue skies and sunshine, it was great for January. It's amazing after just a month of not riding of just how much fun this thing is to ride, and how big the smile is. But I've been reading some of the threads about transmission issues, so I'm a little worried. I have a 2018, just over 2000 miles on it now, and this is the third or fourth time now where I'm downshifting from highway speed and it goes from third gear to neutral, skips second gear. So basically hit 4th, let clutch out, 3rd gear, clutch out, 2nd, let clutch out and nothing, look down neutral light is on, have to shift back up and I'm usually entering a turn, so not a comfortable feeling. Is this an issue? or is it just my riding style?

Thoughts

You have had the 500 mile service done correct? Mine was much better after the service, but I never jumped gears.

New bike should be under warranty take it to the shop and get it checked out. Documentation will be worth much if you have troubles down the road.

What oil are you using ? Just curious . My bet is yours is pretty tight right now since its new. I agree with having the shop look at it if nothing else but for documentation (make sure they do)

Make sure your changes are firm - It aint no sport bike and big gears need to be selected with certainty.

I agree with Mittzy. Always make sure you move the shift lever all the way. No need to ram it in place but be firm. Also, things should loosen up with mileage. Wouldn't be surprised if it goes away as you adapt your riding style to the issue. Mine did.

I did the 500 mile service myself, used Castrol racing 10w-40 synthetic (what the owners manual said). I probably wouldn't be worried about it, but after reading about circlips moving and gears locking up makes me think I should be cautious. I always rode Harley's with forward controls, so the riding position and shifting is a little different. I've heard good things about engle, didn't buy from them, too good a deal from different dealer.

Back