Tires of choice for roadster

Just dropped $$$359$$$ on the Metzeler 888 (Dealer discount) for my rear tire

I was about to go with the Avon Cobra but decided that since I already loved the handling of my current metzeler I thought, why chance possibly ruining the next 10k or so miles by doing something different just to save 60 bucks???

I’m sure the Avon is great, I’m sure I would have loved it too, this is the decision I made, oh well

(Btw, anyone looking for some insight about drive splines grease... a tube of Honda’s M-77 assembly moly paste was $18.65 at the dealer; said it should last about 7 tire changes )

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 1
No body makes a bad tyre...just some are not as good as others...you will get good traction but not as many miles with the 880 compared to the Bridgestone exedra max or the Avon Cobra. The new Metzler 888 is better than the 880 by all accounts.

I pay $193 for the Bridgestone Excedra Max. For the Metzler ME888 $363. For the Metzler ME 880 $369. That's in Canadian dollars. I can purchase almost 2 Bridgys for the price of 1 Metzler. The Bridgy also has given me crisper handling and much longer life along with correcting the speedometer error due to the 55 profile.

Try one, you won't be disappointed.

How about Pirelli? I'm just having my supercharger installed and my mechanic is suggesting we look for something with a little more "sticky" than the Metzlers. I do ride in cold and hot weather however and want a set that is good in both. Tire wear is not as much of a concern, if I can get 5000 good miles I'll be happy trading off $$ for safety......

How about Pirelli? I'm just having my supercharger installed and my mechanic is suggesting we look for something with a little more "sticky" than the Metzlers. I do ride in cold and hot weather however and want a set that is good in both. Tire wear is not as much of a concern, if I can get 5000 good miles I'll be happy trading off $$ for safety......
There are only 3 options, Avon, Metzler, Bridgestone.

In order of stickiness:
Avon
Bridgestone
Metzler

Metzler and Pirelli are the same thing by the way, same company, that builds the tires in the same plant and use the same rubber with different tread patterns.

I was about to go with the Avon Cobra but decided that since I already loved the handling of my current metzeler I thought, why chance possibly ruining the next 10k or so miles by doing something different just to save 60 bucks???

I’m sure the Avon is great, I’m sure I would have loved it too, this is the decision I made, oh well

(Btw, anyone looking for some insight about drive splines grease... a tube of Honda’s M-77 assembly moly paste was $18.65 at the dealer; said it should last about 7 tire changes )

Not being rude, but both of these are ... well ... the wrong choice. Sorry. The Avon Cobra tire make a HUGE improvement in handling and last a good bit longer than the Metz. Honda M77 Paste is NOT the product to use on your driveshaft spline. It is nothing like the old Moly 60 paste. DO NOT USE M77 ON YOUR DRIVESHAFT SPLINES.

BTW: Avon Cobra Tires are exceptionally priced on Rocky Mountain ATV.com. Best place to buy them.

Rear V Rated $233.88 240/50R-16V
Avon Cobra AV72 Rear Motorcycle Tire

Front Standard size but only H rated $151.88 150/80R-17H
Avon Cobra AV71 Front Motorcycle Tire

Front smaller size for even more improved handling and V rated $119.88 140/75R-17V
Avon Cobra AV71 Front Motorcycle Tire

Last edited:
The Avon Cobra on the rear of my 05 is wearing faster than I'd like. But I do light it up on occasion, so easy to do with my Jardine system, 3 K&N's and a good tune. I don't mind the money, but they are such a pain to change. Lucky for me, I have a friend that owns a tire store, but he has it up for sale. Don't know where I'll go if he sells the place. I did one myself.... NEVER AGAIN!

I did not really have a problem with them but was expecting a similar ride compared to Michelin Commander's. Overall was disappointed. I ride all year and work a night shift. Riding home at night in 35 degree weather and lower was just flat dangerous. Very poor traction in cold weather. Wet road conditions was not much better, comparing the traction under these conditions with the Michelin commanders was like comparing apples and oranges. I believe I ran 42 PSI in the Avons. The Avon front tire started to develop flat spots after 4,000 miles. Not really cupping but was not wearing even either. When I switched to the car tire in the back the front Avon really took a beating. Now I am running a Dunlop Elite three up front with the car tire and it handles great on the open road. Very stable at highway speeds and better traction under adverse conditions. The metz tires were a #ucking joke in wet weather.

How is handling with a car tire in the rear?

That was a long time ago. Car tire after awhile kind of sucked. Road ruts and you get stuck in them. High speed wobble no matter what i did. Been riding Bridgestone back and a Michelin 140 up front. Going to try the new Chromes a try this time.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Back