Time to change tires? Need advice

How does different information or differing opinions equal mudslinging, Hans?:confused:

This has been one of the most civil threads I have ever seen or participated in on the subject.:cool:

Probally just stamp it Japan so they can charge more......

It will be interesting to see if the tyres the guy imported from USA are any different to locally bought tyres, reason I say this is that the Americans keep quoting what would be consider outrageously good mileages on their Metz tyres ... Are they a different spec to the Auss tyre

Just kidding about the Japan stamp ... I think you you will find that Aussie spec tyre are probally made in Japan I remember looking into why the original Bridgestone tyre fitted to my yamaha 650 lasted heaps longer that the one I bought after wards, was told that the original was a factory special made for general world std but tyre bought was made to Auss, this 20 year ago don't know if things have changed.
Any way I see this thread has degenerated into another Darkside mud slinging match so I will refrain from commenting except to say .....

.......catch me if you can keep up

How does different information or differing opinions equal mudslinging, Hans?:confused:

This has been one of the most civil threads I have ever seen or participated in on the subject.:cool:

God I hate to say this Hans but Phil is right this is one of the first DS/MC threads that has not turned into a mud slingin contest. Now i we can onl break Phil of his mas use of emoticons and You tube videos. They are like Art and his stick caps lock key !!!!

Oh and them big words he memorizes from the back of the readers digest book:p

He can keep the Avatar though I never get tired of looking at it:D

"when you really start to push the envelope, the CT becomes a bit like a bull ride"

Mudslinging may have been too strong a word to use but to say it become a bull ride is a bit over the top I have expreinced the opposite where the Meztler was slipping because I was leaning over the edge a bit and it were peeling of the edge causing the rear to slide out. because once you execede the edge the tyre turns sharply back to the rim unlike a car tyre it would just start to go on to the wall (as in the case of the Toyo with its Too soft a wall) but the federal doesnt do it and just keeps on hanging on

God I hate to say this Hans but Phil is right this is one of the first DS/MC threads that has not turned into a mud slingin contest. Now i we can onl break Phil of his mas use of emoticons and You tube videos. They are like Art and his stick caps lock key !!!!

Oh and them big words he memorizes from the back of the readers digest book:p

He can keep the Avatar though I never get tired of looking at it:D

I'll part ways with my positive proclivities and propensities about the same time that you break away from your negative ones, Scott!:p;)

Rear brakes??

How much front brake do you use? Since 85% of the braking is in the front (hence 2 disks vice 1 in the rear) locking the rear tire is incredibly easy, even with a car tire. I know I have a 225 car tire and I can lock it faster than you can read this sentence. As Triumphil says science vs. science fiction. When you brake you shift weight bias from the rear to the front REGARDLESS of the brake you deploy. Don't believe that? Ask yourself why the handlebars dive when you mash ONLY the rear brake. That pesky weight shift is unloading the rear tire, losing you traction as it does so. Rear wheel lockup can be avoided by having overly crappy brakes and pads so the efficiency of the brake is reduced so a panic stand-on-the-pedal will not lock up the rear wheel. That Honda with ABS automatically shifts braking power TO THE FRONT the harder you stomp on it. The problem with Triumph brakes isn't they are too bad, it's the rear is too powerful for the size of bike. Next time you're going through the twisty stuff, don't use the rear brake at all. You'll actually go faster.....

Yes, I realize the physics of braking/weight bias. All I am doing is comparing similar weight bikes and how they react to aggressive braking (not a panic stop). We all know that stopping in a straight line is best done with both front and rear brakes. When I try braking heavily with the old America it is very well mannered and predicable. Try the same with the Rocket and you have to monitor rear lock-up like a hawk and it really doesn't improve much with a rider on board. Before you beat me up for comparing the America, yes, it is a much lighter and supposedly less sophisticated bike, but even when comparing a full size none-ABS tourer of 800+ lb I find the Rocket much less predictable. The only reason I brought this up in the first place was in regard to the tire compound....initially I blamed the Metz and resigned myself to wearing it out and putting a tire on with a wider footprint and softer compound........but I don't know if that is even close to the real answer.
Oh, and yes I'm REAL cautious on the twisty stuff now particularly because probably 80% of the time on this bike my wife is with me....that's why I bought it....so keep in mind when I'm haulin' this beast down,,, it's over a half ton (1250-1300lb), unlike some of you that ride solo most of the time and on a roadster, etc. which already have a larger rear footprint.

Sooo...

Do at least MOST agree (I know this may be asking for trouble) that if you don't want to go CT but would like to use a MT, that the Excedra Max 240/55R16 for the R3 Roadster is the best?:confused:
We (after only 5000 miles) got a ROCK that went all the way through the steel belts of the orginal tire, so we are attempting to patch it but don't know if it will hold. We don't "hot dog" too much on it but would like to know if anyone has successfully patched a hole such as this on a MT.:eek:

Mate with 5,000 miles on it i'd be replacing the tyre. If it had 50 or even 500 maybe then i'd consider a plug but why would you with those sort of miles out of it already ... Oh and by the way Welcome from one of the Aussies ;)

I am with TC on that one, It is not worth the trouble at 5000 miles.
There is a vulcanising mushroom shape plug which has a large flat section that has to be put in from inside with tyre off, so unless there is more than 50% rubber there it is just not worth it
Incidentally the plugs that you can put in from the outside are only designed as a short term emergency use only
Hope this helps you decide which way to go
Oh and Another Aussie Welcome :D

Welcome and I'm with the rest I would not patch it remember you are on two wheels you loose one you only have one I would replace it but thats me

Back