Time to change tires? Need advice

tekardi

.060 Over
I m having this situation I have 6000 miles on my Metz and have a new pair of Avon waiting in my garage since past year due is very dificult to find this tires in Argentina were I live ....I mean we cannot find ANY....so must I chenge them or wait till die ...just perform bearclaw tripples and I m pushing my bike more than usual ....need your advice

Is it good to stock a new tire for long time also? Thank you all!

Storing tires doesn't hurt them as long as it's climate controlled and no UV rays to harden the rubber.

Check your wear bar indicator to see if tread depth has reached minimum.

Change tires as often as you want, but if they are hard to come by I'd recommend you look at other types/brands that are more accessible.

If you want a LOT of fun (like skinned knuckles and bleeding palms) change that rear tire yourself. The front is easy, anyone can do that one.

Storing tires doesn't hurt them as long as it's climate controlled and no UV rays to harden the rubber.

Check your wear bar indicator to see if tread depth has reached minimum.

Change tires as often as you want, but if they are hard to come by I'd recommend you look at other types/brands that are more accessible.

If you want a LOT of fun (like skinned knuckles and bleeding palms) change that rear tire yourself. The front is easy, anyone can do that one.

Just check TWI and its like a milimeter to reach it ..I think I have like 500 miles more don t you think ?

Just check TWI and its like a milimeter to reach it ..I think I have like 500 miles more don t you think ?
Heck ya run them until you just see the cords show. I would say you have at least 500 miles left on them unless your burning rubber. Next tire see if you can get the Bridgestone Exedra MAX 240/55/16 you will get about 10,000 on them if not more.

Dark Side...Dark Side...

Ok.. I am not one to make trouble :confused: but maybe you can run a lower pressure car tire such as is on my posts... I am not a young guy or a new rider and I have 30 years of riding behind me.
I am a power rider and I have 2 sport bikes, 2 cruisers and 1 commuter at this time. My newest bike a 2008 R3T which I am currently modifying in to some type of beast unlike which has been seen on these pages before (stay tuned)...:eek:
Anyway, the first time i rode the "de-tuned" bike i found that if i twisted the throttle the rear tire spun down the street. Likewise, if i engaged the rear brake the bike would fishtail down the street.
It took me about 1 day to get tired of that. :mad:
Since installing my flat tread the ride was totally different. I can accelerate in dry or wet conditions with confidence and braking is much more controllable. I mean, if I want to lock it up I can, but at least I can predict when it will happen. :p
As far as handling is concerned, well that is simple...
The Rocket is not a motorcycle that handles well at very slow speed, especially when turning tightly. I think the bike likes to go straight. I noticed this before I swapped out the rear tire. On the road i am usually only concerned about deep ruts found at red lights where the asphalt has sunken severely, but this is true of all the bikes I ride.
I would like to go back to a round tire, but not if it means spinning and sliding all over the place. That was crazy! :eek:

Dunlops lasted over 10K miles but are hard and a wee slippery on wet roads. Metzlers last me about 5K miles and are soft and comfortable.

I'm up in the air about which tire I will use the next time I swap tires. Both good, just different.

What kind of riding do you do mostly?

You still have some miles on those tires.. I would just keep riding on them before you swap.. :)

I really liked the Avons when I was running them. They seem to stick alot better in the curves and last longer in the middle as well than the Metzelers. Really good looking tires as well!

I am running Bridgestone Excedras now. I don't know about their availability where you are at, but here in the U.S. they are quite a bit less expensive than Metzeler or Avon. The rear tire is a 240/55.. which sits a small bit higher than a 240/50.. and my front Bridgestone is the OEM tire for Honda Goldwings. It is not V rated, but since I almost never exceed 130MPH, I don't find that a problem.. I have really liked these Bridgestones and will replace them with the same tires next time.

Dunlops lasted over 10K miles but are hard and a wee slippery on wet roads. Metzlers last me about 5K miles and are soft and comfortable.

I'm up in the air about which tire I will use the next time I swap tires. Both good, just different.

What kind of riding do you do mostly?

I just do city and some route during weekends...so.....I have to say next time Ill go DARKKKKKKK less money more control and less expensive :)

Back