Yep.....first generation.......thank you very much! I keep you up to date ...hope to succeed!

triumph b.JPG DEcosse.........Thx again..hope to perform my miracle!

My tacho is i think first generation material i bought on the internet. However..Some colourcombinations you mentioned do not seem to excist in my tacho version . The 16-way connector is plugged in and the wires are ready to be connected. Next step for me is to figure out the numbers of the connector. Hope to make no mistakes....i thought green/red was the left blinker wire?

wires on my tacho:
2x black
black/white
black/green
purple
red
brown (= display+)
green/red (blinker L)
green/white (blinker R)
blue/white (high beam)
grey
yellow
orange (0 gear?)

For your OEM TOURING wires, see the diagram I responded with in my earlier reply - those are taken directly from the Touring model schematic
Some of those colours you mention - Brown nor Grey nor Yellow nor Orange nor Black/Green nor Black/White are simply not on the schematic at all!

You might be confusing me by your use of the term 'tacho' .............

A Tacho is an RPM indicator
A Speedo is a Speed Indicator
In English a TACHO is NOT a generic term for instruments, ONLY for the RPM gauge.

My understanding from what you described is that you were relocating the original TOURING model SPEEDO (which is CANBUS) and adding a Tach (only) from an earlier bike
My post #10 was with that interpretation
And in order to do, you would need AS WELL AS the tacho itself, the EARLY/CLASSIC instrument sub-wiring harness (which goes to both speedo and tach instruments) and use that harness to mate into the TOURING harness - whose wires would all still be required for the TOURING SPEEDO!

At this point I am not quite clear whether you are really adding JUST the TACH - or trying to add the complete SPEEDO and TACH PAIR from the early bike?

With regard your question on the Orange Wire (which I do not know what you mean - there is no orange wire!)
But - When you say '0 gear' I think you might mean Neutral?
There is NO standalone neutral signal on a Touring Instrument panel - that information is included on the CANBUS data stream

Last edited:
IMG_0501.JPG DEcosse....excuse me for my poor English. It's like the picture...I'm using the Original touring wiring and are looking for a way to adjust the tacho rpm meter i bought on the internet.
I have the opertunity to connect tacho wiring to the Original touringwiring easely. I Just hope to "by-pass" directly to the coil/bobine + to make the tacho work. The right colours to do so are essential....COlours mentioned are the Original colours on the rocket tacho i bought.

If you gentlemen can get an classic tacho to work on a touring that will be great as i have been trying for years to find a way

I can see the appeal of having an instrument with "Triumph" on the dial.

Still, if you want a good looking tachometer on the bike, @Bedifferent figured out how to do it. And it's easy enough, that even I could follow his lead.

Just Installed A Tachometer On My R3T

I know it was a project I wrote about and posted , but I have to agree with you @Joesmoe. That was my first thought when I saw the post. Why go to all the trouble trying to adapt it when there is already a nice tachometer available with a simple 4 wire hookup that is known to work. I guess I was just waiting for someone else to say it.

Besides the fact that i prefer my already bought the Original tacho it is already fixed into my own made dashboard.....The bedifferent version appears to be a lot smaller. If i don't succeed i will go for that option en have to produce a filling ring in de dashboard.

Besides the fact that i prefer my already bought the Original tacho it is already fixed into my own made dashboard.....The bedifferent version appears to be a lot smaller. If i don't succeed i will go for that option en have to produce a filling ring in de dashboard.

FYI, The Koso Tachometer measures 85.5mm Front Bezel Diameter X 79.5mm Case Diameter X 41mm Deep. US that translates to 3.366" X 3.129" X 1.618

I will be interest to hear if you get it working. Based on what I have read, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

... I will be interest to hear if you get it working. Based on what I have read, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

There's no reason why it should not work
I just need to match up the colours of the sub-harness, which unfortunately do not appear to match those in the main harness.
I do have access to a sub-harness though - just need to get to it on my list of 100 other things to do!

Back