Anything can be made to work if you're willing to understand the signals on both sides of the interface, design and build a card to do the translation.

With my experience, given the rough environment faced by motorcycle electrics in general, that there would be no support but my own when it quit, I just prefer as close to plug-and-play as possible.

For those taking that route, I wish them greatest success.

As others have said, what is a boy without something with which to tinker ?

There's no reason why it should not work
I just need to match up the colours of the sub-harness, which unfortunately do not appear to match those in the main harness.
I do have access to a sub-harness though - just need to get to it on my list of 100 other things to do!

I guess my understanding from reading other posts was the ECU was different and the Touring does not have that feature built into it. Now if you are going to trigger from another source, I guess that would be different. I will admit, I did not completely read all of the posts but it just seemed like a lot of work.

DEcosse.......as mentioned....i appreciate your effort.....my hope depends on your expertise.

DEcosse.......as mentioned....i appreciate your effort.....my hope depends on your expertise.

My curiosity is getting the best of me. This original post is over a year old and since it popped back up ...did you ever get the originsl Triumph tach working?

No.....did not succeed. It happened to be that the original tacho i bought had died. I bought a koso instead. Koso's a little bit more "bumpy" than a original cockpit.JPG but it works allright.

No.....did not succeed. It happened to be that the original tacho i bought had died. I bought a koso instead. Koso's a little bit more "bumpy" than a original cockpit.JPG but it works allright.

Good to find out you got things all worked out. It looks good and a nice display. I do not like a tank mounted speedo gage. Sometimes they catch the sun and I don't like glancing my eyes off the road to see my speed. Mostly, I just correlate my tach to the speed I want to be at and check that. I have considered powder coating that chrome tank mount black to stop any sun reflection. Annoying on a bright sunny day.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bumpy"? As far as the action, mine is real smooth. It does on a very very rare occasion do a little jump like the servo motor is correcting itself, but other than that it works like a tach should. A smooth read and road bumps never affect it. Not sure why it does that as the one I had on my first bike never did that. :)

I know it was a project I wrote about and posted , but I have to agree with you @Joesmoe. That was my first thought when I saw the post. Why go to all the trouble trying to adapt it when there is already a nice tachometer available with a simple 4 wire hookup that is known to work. I guess I was just waiting for someone else to say it.

Which one is that? That was a great tutorial you posted in the other thread. This is a big issue with the Vulcan Nomad riders, of which I am also one. The only one that really worked was the Kawasaki Fire and Steel accessory taco which is no longer available and weighed in at about $350 when it was. Those guys have had mixed success with the coil style.

Bumpy's pherhaps not the right word. Sometimes its like you said....sometimes a little jump and not realy reliable/stable.

Bumpy's pherhaps not the right word. Sometimes its like you said....sometimes a little jump and not realy reliable/stable.

Hmm....I have not had that problem. Very stable 99.9% of the time. The little jump has never been a issue and I have to actually looking at the tach to catch it. Perhaps you just got a glitchy one or it's a hiccup from the coil connection.

Back