Summer Screen vs Touring Screen

As I stated on the sulky site, I wouldn't go near the either Triumph products as they don't offer any wind protection around the head... the wind vest looks like the way to go if you fancy the "convertable" concept of easy on for long journeys and easy off for style...;) This place is quiet....wonder why:D

Its a new site give it some time. Plus it has opened under acrimonious conditions further reducing the number of visitors and posters.

Aside from that your question requires an answer from someone who has both screens...not many Captains have both.

FWIW....I have the Roadster screen and triumph lowers and am very happy with it, though it would be perfect if it were about 1" taller....I am 5'9". It will likely be too short for you but you can get a much taller replacement screen at

http://www.clearviewshields.com/

Unfortunately Triumph doesn't sell the chrome screen braces separately.

I rode 380 miles on Saturday in very cold weather and the screen did a great job of killing the wind blast and resultant wind chill factor. Its very wide and sends most of the air around the rider. Since the triumph flyscreen fits on the same mounts I will likely buy that for summer riding.

your question requires an answer from someone who has both screens
.. no it does not. It only requires a view of experience of either screen; if someone has tried both, or owns/owned both even better :)

I like the look of the fly screen, but a proper screen is likely to help kill some of the cold in lower temps, particularly at higher speeds. The summer screen is more attractive than the touring screen, I feel; but then again turbulence can be a problem with various screens and often that's far worse than not having one at all, and just letting a full-face lid do it's own aerodynamic thing; hence my question.

The screens on the link you sent look good, as do other U.S. based company screen products. However when I ordered a Cee Baileys screen for my R1200GS, I got serverly stung for import duty, into the UK, and effectively it ended up costing me nearly double the ticket price. As cruisers are not a popular genre in the UK, it's harder to get quality aftermarket parts, hence I thought (initially at least) I'd try one of the Triumph offerings.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Last edited:
I have the fly screen, which does amazingly well for what it is. I does keep the wind blast off of your chest and has almost no effect on your steering like some bigger screens do in the turbulance. It is not that good for full weather protection and a full face helet is almost a must. I woudn't think that the summer screen would be that big of an improvement over the fly screen, so if your looking for something for protection on long rides I would lean twords the touring screen. But once again... I have neither..

Tomo

Toystoretom said:
I have the fly screen, which does amazingly well for what it is. I does keep the wind blast off of your chest and has almost no effect on your steering like some bigger screens do in the turbulance. Tomo

I am finding that the Rocket handles better in turbulence with the Roadster screen on, than the much smaller aftermarket screen (national cycle sport shield) I ripped off my vs 800 to put on the Rocket. Bottom line...I really like the way the Rocket handles with the Roadster screen on.....I have the lowers too so that might make a difference. I can ride hands off at 90 with no problem.

I wear a full face helmet but I like to keep the face shield up to get that wind in the face. With no screen or a fly screen...I have to keep the face shield down cuz I wear contact lenses....and even with sunglasses in front they dry out or get dust in them. With the Roadster screen I can leave the shield up, and even rotate up the articulating face guard on my helmet so as to eat or drink on the fly.

I have an after market bolt on "tall" lexan screen. On my receipt it says "GT-25" windshield costing 139.99 US dollars. A Roadster screen was on my Rocket when I purchased it, but both the dealer and I felt a "tall" screen would be better for my 6'4" bod. I actually needed to adjust down the tall screen so it didn't cut my field of vision. I went too far down so I'll adjust up about an inch which should be right on. Wind currently hits the top two or three inches of my full helmet so I can ride at speed with helmet shield up if I choose. Raising the tall shield another inch should just about cause air flow to crest helmet but I won't know for sure until I make the change.

Honestly at 50 years old, I see no reason I'd ever go back to riding without windshield. It's simply too comfy and bug free with it on. I notice how much easier it is to hold the grips without the wind pushing on you all the time. You can really relax with a windscreen on. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know so I'll cease and desist.

Jeff

Last edited:
Back