Stopped in at Seattle Triumph

Dude I was just in that shop a couple weekends ago! It's the best Triumph store I've seen in the U.S. They had this little insanity there too.
35242722_10209926387750713_7316643012560289792_n.jpg
35266901_10209926387670711_2667140429861879808_n.jpg
35296905_10209926387910717_3323975971782000640_n.jpg

Unfortunately, they may be the most popular /I would doubt sport touring bikes at least/, but these segments are declining, AND are dominated by very strong competitors. For a small Triumph this is wrong place to fight (and it almost broke their neck in the past). Adventure bikes for middle aged men with money and retro toys for ladyboys and lumbersexuals - these are the growing market segments where Triumph can reasonably compete and make money. Triumph is a niche player, so the focus on specific growing segment is really smart strategy. Not sayin I like these particular types of bikes, but it delivers $ and they do not have to spend fortune on advertisement. We should enjoy RIII until they keep it alive. RIII is a true relict these days.

Only mighty japanese manufacturers can afford serving all major motorcycle segments. Or maybe just Honda. Everybody else has to focus.

Just for comparison, in U.S., Triumph sells about 13k bikes annually (globally about 70k bikes per year) - Honda does the same in just two weeks (globally about 20M bikes per year)..

I totally agree, but I think the line Triumph has right now is very strong and addresses a segment of the market most are ignoring. That being said people need to know what they have to offer.

PS I really like some of the new Royal Enfields too.
Classic500-right-tan-600x463.png

Dude I was just in that shop a couple weekends ago! It's the best Triumph store I've seen in the U.S. They had this little insanity there too.
35242722_10209926387750713_7316643012560289792_n.jpg
35266901_10209926387670711_2667140429861879808_n.jpg
35296905_10209926387910717_3323975971782000640_n.jpg

I do agree, it’s the best T store I’ve seen myself.

Has a very Triumph feel to it since they don’t have to push any other brands.

I totally agree, but I think the line Triumph has right now is very strong and addresses a segment of the market most are ignoring. That being said people need to know what they have to offer.

PS I really like some of the new Royal Enfields too.
Classic500-right-tan-600x463.png

Well , I like em too...until I get close enough ready to climb aboard. They just seem scaled a ‘size’ to small.
I feel like a pimple or zit sat on all of em. I’m not huge 6ft but feel like I’m riding my little brothers bike.
They have got this wrong I believe. Although styled nicely they have absolutely no street presence. They look like a pretend real bike. If only they had taken 60 s styling and acknowledged that ...for example...the best selling suit size in the 60s was a size 40. Today 44” suits are cincidered ‘core’ They’ve missed the fact we are bigger. Have a look at what’s happend to boobs since the 60s irrespective of enhancement...and I’m a f——-g an authority on them things!

Last edited:
My local dealer is the tops, new building(few years old now) nice clean place lots of bikes on the show room floor-Triumph has its own floor space and very friendly knowledgeable owners and staff.
D&D Cycles Inc.

I think I might have told you the story Dave but D&D is where Alicia and I bought our Triumphs back in '07. When I walked into the shop Dink and I looked at each other and he said "I know you" but he was obviously puzzled. I recognized him immediately though since I used to buy vintage Triumph parts from him when he ran his parts and repair business out of his home in Pensacola. He introduced me to his son, who is a rated racer, and I asked Dink if this was the same son who I used to step over as he crawled around on Dink's kitchen floor 18 years previously. It was. I'm so glad they are doing well. He and his family are great folks. I thought his wife would try to adopt Alicia since they liked her (and treated her) so well.

They have got this wrong I believe. Although styled nicely they have absolutely no street presence. They look like a pretend real bike. If only they had taken 60 s styling and acknowledged that .
They are aimed SQUARELY at a very specific audience - based on fashion and at users who DO NOT spend much time in the saddle. Low, small, manageable. One Triumph dealer here has told me that as a result they are seeing couples buy matching bikes rather than one big'un. Thay are as happy as Larry. More bikes means more servicing.

Clothing - Maybe 44 is becoming "core" but NOT in sizing. 44 used to be al L (or even M in the USA) - These days seems to be XL.

And imo there is NOTHING wrong with small bikes. They offer more of what many bikers say they like about riding. But I can't see the speedo etc that close without my reading glasses - That's my excuse and I am sticking with it.

Heres a comparison 140HP (stock) Triple - MV Augusta Brutale 800RR - teeny - really teeny. Scary fun. But jeez do you feel exposed.

They are aimed SQUARELY at a very specific audience - based on fashion and at users who DO NOT spend much time in the saddle. Low, small, manageable. One Triumph dealer here has told me that as a result they are seeing couples buy matching bikes rather than one big'un. Thay are as happy as Larry. More bikes means more servicing.

Clothing - Maybe 44 is becoming "core" but NOT in sizing. 44 used to be al L (or even M in the USA) - These days seems to be XL.

And imo there is NOTHING wrong with small bikes. They offer more of what many bikers say they like about riding. But I can't see the speedo etc that close without my reading glasses - That's my excuse and I am sticking with it.

Heres a comparison 140HP (stock) Triple - MV Augusta Brutale 800RR - teeny - really teeny. Scary fun. But jeez do you feel exposed.

Au$24,490 Ride Away here in Oz.

Review: 2018 MV Agusta Brutale 800 RR - Bike Review
2018 MV Agusta Brutale 800 RR Specifications
mvagusta.com.au
Price: $24,490 Ride Away
Warranty: Two-year, unlimited kilometre

Claimed power: 103kW[140hp]@12,300rpm
Claimed torque: 87Nm@10,100rpm
Dry weight: 175kg
Fuel capacity: 16.5L

Engine: Liquid-cooled, in-line three-cylinder, four-stroke, four-valves per cylinder, DOHC, 798cc, 13.3:1 compression, 79 x 54.3mm bore x stroke, Mikuni EFI, MVICS, Eldor 2.0 EMU, RbW, six injectors, EAS quickshifter (up-down)

Gearbox: Cassette style, six speed, constant mesh
Clutch: Hydraulically actuated Wet-clutch, multi-disc with back torque limiting device

Chassis: ALS Steel tubular trellis, aluminium alloy single-sided swingarm,Trail: 103.5mm,

Suspension:43mm Marzocchi USD forks, fully adjustable, 125mm travel, Progressive Sachs single shock, fully adjustable, 124mm travel

Brakes: Bosch 9+ ABS with RLM, dual 320mm floating rotors, Brembo four-piston radial calipers, single rear 220mm rotor, Brembo two-piston caliper

Wheels & Tyres: Pirelli Diablo Rosso III tyres, Aluminium alloy five-spoke wheels, 3.50 x 17in, 5.50 x 17in, 120/70 – 17, 180/55 – 17

Dimensions:
Wheelbase: 1400mm
Seat height: 830mm
Overall length: 2045mm
Overall width: 875mm

Instruments: Multi-function digital display

Small is fine and all but I felt like a man riding a kids bike, just to little for my taste.

I’m pretty sure it was the seat height being about 4” off the ground that makes it feel like a toy to me.

Much as I love the R3, I’m just not that picky when it comes to motorcycles. I put a couple hundred miles on a Bonneville. Other than it feeling a bit top heavy, I couldn’t care less. It’s two wheels and a motor going down the road. The rest is details.

Back