Oh, I already measures center of stem to one of the bolt hole centers, it’s 5mm or 43mm offset depending which hole you measure from.

So when drilling the L bracket hole, measure from one of the clamp mount M8 screws forward by the mounting measurement of the damper then add 5 mm and drill the hole. I’ll take pics when I do it to show, but basically you just need to measure stem center point on damper to mounting hole center distance and add 5 to ensure proper alignment.

Hope this works as I think it will, if so it’ll be a $50 mounting system for rockets.

Last edited:
Ok, at a point I’m going to buy a SCOTT and finish this out.

Hope to have this closed out in the coming few weeks. Will post pics and a “How to” once I’ve got the Damper in hand.

EDIT: May end up going GPR, there’s a killer deal on a brand new on I found.

Last edited:
This arrived today. It’s a seven position damper in each position is a significant adjustment in the resistance. It was only $175. And any idiot can rebuild it when the time comes.
24AA4F2D-D97B-47D1-BC25-D0FF20B62519.jpeg

After a lot of laborious reading and interpreting and looking at what race bikes run what I’ve come to this conclusion-

Any damper is better than no damper.
Radial vs Linear is a dead horse issue, the quality and mounting of the damper is more important than the type.

Linear vs rising rate resistance is all about rider preference and in very specific use cases one style can be “more correct” than the other.

Linear is the easiest method on the rocket to instal and doesn’t need to be fiddled with to lift the tank. I bought the NHK ODM3190E a linear seven position damper with 190mm stroke length, it may be longer than needed, but it’s a big and very robust unit and IMO is appropriate to the Rocket 3.

Install pics this weekend. I’ll report back on length, a 120 or 130 stroke may work, but I bought big to ensure I didn’t buy twice. It’ll be mounted similar to the pic below:
AB094CEF-465F-461A-9A85-AA65BB087798.jpeg

Last edited:
After 13 years of Rocket history, I am amazed that there is still no steering damper kit, at all.

It doesn't have to be from a mass manufacturer - I am talking about companies like TTS, CES Racing or expert blokes like Dain, who do small series of outstanding parts for the Rocket.
Really, I think if somebody competent would make up their mind and provide a kit, they could sell a few dozen right away, and the word would spread quickly.

Who could help R3T riders to get rid of the hi-speed weave? Or do something for R3R captains like me, who just feel that inner need to go 160mph with a full screen? :sneaky:

WOW!
Mein Freund, if you can truly go 160mph on a stock R3R - with a shield, I must know your secret!!! :eek: :roll: :thumbsup:

Cannot believe I have not seen this thread before. How about this ?
25122009220small pipes.jpg

That’s about where I plan to put it :p

That a lengthened Ohlins Damper?

The 2000-3000cc production bike with production motor record is 152.xx, held by an R3R btw. I hold no illusions the motor was “as delivered” from Hinkley though, probably quite far from it.

Last edited:
It is not a kit Paul, I did this like, eleven years ago, bit tricky remembering the part number. Any decent damper, a fork clamp and one M8 threaded stainless rivnut will do the trick... or you could weld a stud into the frame in the same place. It is an '04 bike.

Back