ThingKing

Child in Time
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster, 2022 Hayabusa
After 13 years of Rocket history, I am amazed that there is still no steering damper kit, at all.

It doesn't have to be from a mass manufacturer - I am talking about companies like TTS, CES Racing or expert blokes like Dain, who do small series of outstanding parts for the Rocket.
Really, I think if somebody competent would make up their mind and provide a kit, they could sell a few dozen right away, and the word would spread quickly.

Who could help R3T riders to get rid of the hi-speed weave? Or do something for R3R captains like me, who just feel that inner need to go 160mph with a full screen? :sneaky:

Yep... I agree. It wouldn't take much achieve it. Doesn't have to be mounted up near the gauges or handle bars. It could be mounted to the shock below the tank.

Or could be one of those "box" type manufactured by Scott. Somehow mount it below the gauges.

I guess @warp9.9 has the ability to do his own damper math and create an outstanding one-off. There was also some talking about the Triumph TT600 damper kit from Scotts, seems one guru had one attached successfully on a Rocket, like a decade ago.

But for me and probably several other captains of the Roadster era, it would be more suitable to have something like a bolt-on kit, that can be attached on a consumer level of expertise.

I will have a chat with Damian at DMX in Spain again. He said it was NOT as easy as it looked. That's why.

Scott's conversion involves a fair bit of R+D and commercially I doubt the development costs could be reasonably recovered.

In real terms there are not many R3's and most I have seen in real life are bog standard. The two closest to me are also owned by hairdressers. And most of the others by the obviously mechanically inept. Most are just used as cruisers.

I will have a chat with Damian at DMX in Spain again. He said it was NOT as easy as it looked. That's why.
Scott's conversion involves a fair bit of R+D and commercially I doubt the development costs could be reasonably recovered.
In real terms there are not many R3's and most I have seen in real life are bog standard. The two closest to me are also owned by hairdressers. And most of the others by the obviously mechanically inept. Most are just used as cruisers.

Thanks Barbagris, your help is very much appreciated. It's not easy, but it will make a big difference for the R3.
The Rockets that were just used as cruisers make it an even better deal to buy a used one, for many years more.

I've been too busy to finish the radial steering damper. I have been home about seven weeks so far this year. So to be honest any spare time I might have found has been spent riding. The damper I have been working on can mount to any classic Rocket or any Rocket with the longer classic cables as it does lift the bars almost a inch. Probably ok for me. If the damper works well then I see a complete lower bar mount and using the top bar cap so gauge mounting would not change. Anyway can't wait to be able to settle down and play in the shop. I haven't opened the doors up down there for months now. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back