Something leaking

jthree

Turbocharged
Ride
2007 Rocket III Classic
I have noticed that, where I park the bike at work, there is a spot developing on the ground where something has obviously been dripping. It's a tiny amount but becoming more visible (I park in the same spot every day). The strange thing is I don't see anything on the garage floor. That said, my parking spot is porous paving and my garage floor is painted some I would have to really look for it there.
The spot is right smack in the middle of the bike on the left hand side near where the kickstand is attaches to the bike. I see some small hoses hanging down which I assume are breathers of some kind but can't figure out where it (what ever it is) is coming from.

Any ideas guys?

Cheers

Jthree

Do you park outside at work
Is it hot outside or get hot during the day
Is your gas tank full
It might be gas expanding in your tank as it gets hot out and dripping and the reason you dont see it in the garage is the garage is creating shade so it doesnt get as hot
Just a thought

The coolant overflow and battery both discharge at that point. Since your battery (if OEM) is an AGM it's not likely acid gel. If you have an evap canister that could also be a possibility. Since it likely gets hotter sitting in the parking lot than in your garage I would suspect an expansion of gasses into the evap canister might do it. You can give the growing dot a sniff test to see what it might be, coolant doesn't small like oil or gas. You can also check the hoses and see if one has a wet tip. Just trace that back and you'll have your answer.

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

The heat makes perfect sense as it is parked in the sun in the morning and it is stinking hot here right now. The gas is usually full but obviously not always. What's this "evap canister" of which you speak? Where is it located and what does it do (rookie questions maybe:)).
I placed some cardboard under it today so I'll see if I can figure out what it is.

Thanks again

Jthree

I had the same problem last year, could not figure out where it was coming from, very small leak, it disapeared the same way it showed up, i have been keeping an eye on the bike ever since but no more leaks, heat makes sense, that is why im watching it :)

I had a leak driving me nuts for about 4 months and just figured it out last week. It was clear and oily, but would disapate into the concrete on the garage floor. Turned out to be coolant that leaked out of the 14mm hex plug on the right rear of the engine block, right in front of the triangular shroud. Took me the better part of a day to track down that hex key and about 10 seconds to give it a couple of good wacks to tighten it!:D I was under that bike with a mirror forever trying to figure it out and the way it sneeked around to drip where it did really suprised me.
Hope you get it solved.

I have an 08 and at 1 stage I was finding the ocasional spot next to the side stand, turned out that one of the bottomcase bolts big bolt heads (not the little sump bolts) which is just above was faulty slightly undersize neck on bolt and was letting just a tiny bitof oil come past dealer at first tried a copper washer but ended up with putting silicon sealant on shaft. So give her a good wash and go for a decent ride get uner the left side and run your finger over the bolts, mine was not obivious at first :)

Smells like gas. I placed cardboard under the bike in the morning and at lunch time there was a spot. I flipped the board and at 4:00 PM there was no new spot. So the theory of it being heat related stacks up but I still can't figure out why (the tank was not totally full).
What is the evap canister mentioned?

Cheers

Jthree

My bike was leaking coolant from the overflow tube under the bike. it was a faulty radiator cap. When the bike cooled, it would produce a vacuum in the overflow tank resulting in a small amount of coolant vomiting onto the garage floor. Replaced the cap and it stopped.

Back