HELP!!!!! Oil leaking from bottom pan?

1Steve

.020 Over
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket Touring
I am not remotely mechanically savy. My new-to-me 2015 Rocket 3 Touring just started leaking today. I rode it for probably 300 miles Sunday, no leaks. Then today I rode about 35 miles and parked it. When I went back out to the garage there was something underneath it. At the time I thought it was coolant but there's no leak in the coolant. Upon further inspection it is leaking on the left side, it looks like from two bolts. There is a small rubber stopper that the kickstand hits when you put the kickstand up. The leak is coming from the bolts just above that. These are both small bolts, and one seems to be leaking much more than the other.

Do you guys have any ideas what this is and how serious it might be?
The bike was serviced a about 2k miles ago, which was in June.

Take a couple of pictures of the area to make it easier for the group to identify. You need to determine if the leak is oil or coolant. What color is the fluid? You can tell the difference between coolant and oil simply by smelling or even tasting. Also, coolant can leak from the overflow bottle when hot with minimal indication that the level is low. The overflow travels down a hose to the ground. If it is oil and you've checked to see that the drain plugs are tight, I'd check for a leak from up above. A loose valve cover can cause seepage to run down along the side of the block. Also a few fellows have had the valve cover gasket squeeze out of position, sometimes in hard to see locations causing a leak. The valve cover gasket around the spark plugs has also been known to move causing oil to leak through a drain hole in the head, I think on the intake side. These are just some things to check off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have been changing oils on my 2015 roadster myself...after my last oil change, I see oil drops from one of the bolts under the pan...this oil bolt/plug is not one of three that we open to drain oil but the one which is on the right side of the bike(the one close to the brake pads side)...if the bike is standing for couple of weeks then I see small quantity on the garage floor...this plug is not the one that could be torqued as it keeps on going inside....so I tightened it so that it's flush with the surface of the pan......any ideas how to fix this....the oil level stick is also showing oil level drop because of it...

Is this the plug you are talking about? The unknown bolt underneath... If so, follow the instructions given. Probably a pipe thread plug. Pull the plug, reseal with thread locker or pipe thread sealant and reinstall flush. You will lose some oil though. You might be able to remove the plug part way, clean it then install the sealer on the exposed threads before reinstalling if you don't want to lose any oil.

Is this the plug you are talking about? The unknown bolt underneath... If so, follow the instructions given. Probably a pipe thread plug. Pull the plug, reseal with thread locker or pipe thread sealant and reinstall flush. You will lose some oil though. You might be able to remove the plug part way, clean it then install the sealer on the exposed threads before reinstalling if you don't want to lose any oil.
Yes exactly the same plug...so by thread locker I understand the blue liquid and by pipe thread sealant I understand that it's that white thread that we use for plumbing thread sealing? This won't damage anything with heat and get into engine with oil circulation....I hope???

So I partially open the plug...used the thread locker...turned it in to flush the surface...drove about 100 miles...kept checking the oil drainage all day ...there was nothing....next day checked it and there was one single drop hanging there...so it's still there....I guess I should use the white plumbing thread and locker both?

Yes exactly the same plug...so by thread locker I understand the blue liquid and by pipe thread sealant I understand that it's that white thread that we use for plumbing thread sealing? This won't damage anything with heat and get into engine with oil circulation....I ho

So I partially open the plug...used the thread locker...turned it in to flush the surface...drove about 100 miles...kept checking the oil drainage all day ...there was nothing....next day checked it and there was one single drop hanging there...so it's still there....I guess I should use the white plumbing thread and locker both?
Believe I'd wait until ready to change oil than drop all three plugs. you can wrap the threads with couple rounds of teflon tape. or a pipe sealant liquid. Either one should seal the threads, which are pipe threads, they are tapered threads which get tighter the further you tighten the plugs. I you decide to use the teflon tape, make sure you install with tape going correct way. If you install backwards, the tape will unwind while screwing in.

Back