Leaking Fork Seal Fix

Gregger

Living Legend
Ride
2012 Rocket Roadster
Recently I noticed my fork seals were starting to leak. I ordered seals and was going to replace them when I adjusted my valve clearances last month. Ending up adjusting the valves, replacing the engine oil and filter, replacing the front and rear tires, final drive oil and greasing the driveshaft splines and was getting ready to pull the fork tubes when I remembered someone mentioning cleaning the seals usually stopped leaks. I used to rebuild transmissions in the 70s on GMs and remembered I had a tool for installing lip seals on those turbohydromatic trannys. I inserted the wire end between the fork tube and seal, then ran the wire around the tube and seal several times. It's been over 1000 kilometers to date and no leaks. I'll save the seals for another date.

Unfortunately I didn't take a pic of the leaking forks but the right side actually had some oil getting onto the brake pads.

Here is the clean/repaired fork tube.
IMG_3322[1].JPG

Here is a picture of the BluePoint tool (SnapOn) I used to clean the lip seal. Some people have used credit cards or feeler gauges but I was worried about cutting the seal. The fine wire won't cut the lip. Worked well.
IMG_3320[1].JPG

IMG_3321[1].JPG

Last edited:
Good idea on an alternative to the plastic style cleaner.

Last I had my seals done I used some aftermarket fancy seals that are supposed to be last ages longer than OEM ones (with the visible external spring) and have less stiction. Seem to be working well so far, no idea if they made any difference.

Back