The no **** answer:

Triumph decided the market didn't want it.

There is NO other good reason, period.

I say that as someone who's bike currently looks like this:
1.jpeg

Wow!...all 5-gear fans! I guess i have to accept the fact driving a huge bike doesn't mean it also is able to do so in locomotif modus on long stretching traject.
My rocket suprises me every day knowing i can drive it smoothly in 5th gear above 45 miles. I would like to switch more between torque modus and the very relaxing highwaymodus and saving some fuell as well.

Fuel savings and the cost of the same should never be a issue unless you want to put 200 miles on a tank. Even the worst milage I have seen is around 32 mpg. Considering I can only get around 12 on average with my truck and only 8 when I pulling the 5th wheel, I think my bike toy milage is fantastic! Considering the money we all spend on our bikes for accessories, do-dads and modifications what we pay for fuel is a no brainer. For me personally, fuel is my cheapest investment so far. :banghead::rolleyes::roll:

"You wanna play, ya gotta pay"! "In for a penny, in for a pound"! :laugh:

Perhaps by finding a rear tyre with taller sidewalls, the "taller gearing" could be achieved. I know it is a problem for the choices of motorcycle tyres for the Roadster family of Rockets. The Touring may have more choices. Also this would cause some clearance issues out back, maybe taller shocks could compensate. Now I'll go back to my leg stretching exercises.

I think the reason so many people covet a sixth gear is all about perception. When you whack the throttle open and fifth, and it accelerates almost as hard as first gear, your brain can't believe it, and thinks you must be in a lower gear. We're all used to down shifting to blow somebody's doors off, then shifting back up to high gear.

Fuel savings and the cost of the same should never be a issue unless you want to put 200 miles on a tank. Even the worst milage I have seen is around 32 mpg. Considering I can only get around 12 on average with my truck and only 8 when I pulling the 5th wheel, I think my bike toy milage is fantastic! Considering the money we all spend on our bikes for accessories, do-dads and modifications what we pay for fuel is a no brainer. For me personally, fuel is my cheapest investment so far. :banghead::rolleyes::roll:

"You wanna play, ya gotta pay"! "In for a penny, in for a pound"! :laugh:
Yes this.

Since I ride only for fun all the money spent is %100 elective. I work hard to play at this level.

Well having a Touring I do not have a tach so I do not get to see the rpms, but I have no issues doing 80 to 85 mph on the interstate all day long and get my best mileage there. About 38 mpg.
I can hit the throttle to pass in 5th gear at 80 mph and be at 110 mph in the blink of an eye.
I would be satisfied with gears 1-3-5. 3rd gear on this bike is awesome in the twisties.
As far as top end I hit 140 mph once on my gps and lost my nerve there. She is fast enough for me.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to be able to manipulate the gearing, and have 6 speeds with 6th 15% longer then 5th would be perfect.

Ride open highways everyday back and forth to work. Speed limit is 65 MPH but if you rode at 65 MPH you would get run over. Average speed is 70-75 MPH. Bike is very comfortable at this speed range. No issues with the five speed transmission. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back