I think the reason so many people covet a sixth gear is all about perception. When you whack the throttle open and fifth, and it accelerates almost as hard as first gear, your brain can't believe it, and thinks you must be in a lower gear. We're all used to down shifting to blow somebody's doors off, then shifting back up to high gear.

I did a little experiment while riding today. 5th gear roll on....60 to 90 in around 6 seconds. What's not to like in having that 5 speed? And mines a touring.

Last edited:
IMG_0811.JPG
Well having a Touring I do not have a tach so I do not get to see the rpms, but I have no issues doing 80 to 85 mph on the interstate all day long and get my best mileage there. About 38 mpg.
I can hit the throttle to pass in 5th gear at 80 mph and be at 110 mph in the blink of an eye.
I would be satisfied with gears 1-3-5. 3rd gear on this bike is awesome in the twisties.
As far as top end I hit 140 mph once on my gps and lost my nerve there. She is fast enough for me.

I have posted this before about my touring. It is very accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a little experiment while riding today. 5th gear roll on....60 to 90 in around 6 seconds. What's not to like in having that 5 speed? And mines a touring.
OMG:eek::eek::eek::eek: six whole seconds??????:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Stomp that shifter down twice bro and get ya sum.

That is what i say to the wife when riding with the Sena helmets. She will be right behind me on her Indian and I'll down shift and tell her, "getcha sum a dat *itch".

I just got back from a long road trip with a couple of other bikers, one was a metric and the other had a Heritage Classic with a 6 speed. The HD was constantly shifting between 5th and 6th to pass or go up a slight incline, much better on my Rocket, twist the throttle and go. I thought a 6 speed was needed for the Rocket, not thinking it is that important anymore.

Back