I dont want a 6th gear, I´m really curious about changing the final drive to make it rev say 2000-2300 rpm at 75. What´s your opinion on that?

You'll need to get a custom set of gears cut.

Having called around and asked lately, the problem isn't finding a shop that CAN do the work it's finding a show that WILL do the work. I tried quite a few machine shops, no one was interested in taking the work on.

When I built the Stroker 1000cc Engine for my Trident, I played with the gearing.
As stock at 100KPH (62 MPH) it was too buzzy to ride comfortably, so ignoring the instruments I slowed down until the Engine felt good, then looking down at the Instruments saw that the Engine was turning at 3K RPM, but the speed was only about 75-80 KPH.

I did the Maths to get 3K RPM at around the speed limit.
I ended up with a 38 Tooth rear sprocket, down from 50 stock. (overall 2.0-1 final drive ratio)

This Hot Rod Stroker Engine had the torque to pull this gearing away from a standstill in 1st gear, and had the Engine running at 3K RPM when cruising which was like an over drive in top gear.
Now, yes it would pull away at 3 K RPM, but was not a "sporting" gear, so 4th gear became my general riding gear, (essentially having a four speed gear box, with an overdrive) then when I just wanted to cruise, I'd drop into top (5Th)

With the amount of torque that the Rocket has it could easily pull higher overall rations, 6th gear as Rob has suggested is one of two ways this could be achieved, neither way would be in-expensive.

So if you think that the Rocket is too Buzzy at cruising speeds, ignore the instruments and slow down to what feels O.K. See what the RPM is.

4th takes me past 180. Not sure where 5th ends, and hate to think where 6th would go. :whitstling:

Rode central PA with Dave and Dan this weekend, talking over drinks last night, both their bikes top out at 125 mph max, the Rocket does better than that in 3rd, the Blackbird and K1200 GT, 6 speeds, will both do better than that in 4th.

Back