Shocking Experience

rusty

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Got your attention didn't I?

This thread is a request for those captains, who have purchase Progressive shocks for their Rockets, to give feedback to help with the decision on which shock model is most applicable to my needs.

First of all, I have done some homework on the applications of the different models and have narrowed it down to either 418 HD or 440 ??. Please correct me if I'm not making true statements. "I" believe the 440 shock is for captains whos stature is, say, more capacitable than mine. I weigh about 170 (on a good day) and usually ride solo. On an occation I will ride two up and this year I'll be hauling (what ever I feel is necessary) gear for some distance rides. So, for my average riding & my size, I thought I'd step down from the 440's to the 418's.

I was really considering the 418 HD series but am having a difficult time finding a dealer who can get them for me. If there was one here (a shop) in town who could get them, I'd already have a set (418's that is) cause I ordered a pair back in early March but they haven't came in. I called and said "Forget it" for now and went to another shop here in town and the owner, after some investigating of his own, stated his recommendation of the 440's, highly recommended by Triumph (He specializes in Moto Guzzi, Triumph and lots of misc used bikes.

So, you captains out there that run with Progressive shocks, help me make up my mind with valuable input (as most of you usually have) on comfort, your physical statistics, preference, previous investigation info or just good, humorous comments to make this all the more fun to deal with.

See ya.

Talk to Progressive

Rusty....... I had the opposite problem of being too big and also having riders from time to time. The easiest for me was to contact Progressive directly and told them my situation. We sent several emails back and forth and I even called once to clarify their terminology and they then helped me choose the correct set. I think it's always easiest to go to the source as they know their product better than anyone else.

Just a thought

How come none one likes the stock shocks? I weigh 150 my girl friend weighs less (thought I'd tell didn't you) and I run the stock on the #2 setting and have no problems.

How come none one likes the stock shocks? I weigh 150 my girl friend weighs less (thought I'd tell didn't you) and I run the stock on the #2 setting and have no problems.

Because they are crap , especially when you try and force the pace

Paul, I've not had my butt on many bikes, the Rocket is the 3rd one in 29 years, and one of those 3 was a buddy's HD sportster I road for about 15 minutes.

I've been "launched" from the seat of my Rocket a number of times when I've encountered a decent bump at a decent speed. I'm not certain if a bike is supposed to perform this way (suspension wise) but if I can eliminate that occurance, I'm going there. Many captains state that the ride they experience with the Progressive shocks under them is much improved over the stock shocks. I'm looking for that "improvement", especially for the long haul.

I just wish to make the correct purchase ($450 to $550) for my stature & periodic riding styles (two up, loaded for a trip, etc). Pianoman, I'll give your recommendation a try & see if I'm satisified with the outcome.

See ya.

Last edited:
It really is up to each as to how they like their riding but as is I tip at 200lbs the stock ones just didn't hack it. Now I may go back to them for a trip with a lot of gear but I think to get them to work you have to be 220 or better. I got the 440's and it made all the difference in the world. However on some 2 up situations they will bottom out. I'm just to lazy to adjust for short rides. I will however be sending mine back for new springs as mine are rusting Rusty.

Rusty if you ride solo most of the time, the standard springs would be fine for you. I weigh 205 and had 12" (1/2 an inch lower than stock) standard 440's and they worked great. However two up they would bottom out going over the curb pulling in and out of my driveway (passenger was about 125 on a good day:D ). I changed to the HD springs which solved the problem however the ride is not near as good with the standard springs but still better than stock. If you ride two up much I would go with 13" standard springs before going with 12.5" HD springs.

As far as stock stocks go Paul, I never noticed the swingarm moving with the stock shocks. Going over a bump my ass would come up off of the seat.

Rusty did you try mawonline for your shocks? They have the best prices too. Several guys have gone with the 418's and have had good luck, plus they are way cheaper. Pman is right about Progressive being good to communicate with, however they are very conservative about their recommendations.

Try the German Wilbers shocks. Hi-tech and hi-quality stuff. They now have a US importing corp. and a web-site that speaks english. They assemble the shocks ex-factory according to your claimed ;) weight (+ that of your pillion:D , if you ride duo a lot) and your riding style. They really do. The end product is that: The result of YOUR specs. With, however, almost endless adjustment possibilities.( 2 years later, I confess I am still a bit mystified by them). Note that the springs on Wilbers shocks come in either glossy black (mine) or a bizarre blue. And, no, Wilbers won't plate them for you.​

Am not selling them to you, folks, just suggesting that they are worth a search. Jamie:cool:

Last edited:
I have the 440's, even though I weigh 155. I do some 2 up riding, [Much less now that Lisa has her own bike.] I run mine adjusted to the second line and the ride is much smoother than the stockers. The Progressive's soak up the small bumps like they wern't even there. A big bump can still be felt, but I'm not launched into the air like I used to be. The biggest advantage is how planted the rear end feels when cornering hard.

Back