Rocket 3 for moderately experienced rider?

It also depends a lot on your mission intention. Are you intending on riding primarily in town or on the open road? Any year R3 is a brilliant open road machine but when it comes to urban travel the Roadsters and new R and GT's make more sense. Your experience level is adequate to ride any bike, how safe you are on it depends on learning the bike in a safe environment. I used to take a MSF Advanced Rider course when I bought a new bike to get the range experience for handling and skill improvement. After riding my R3 every bike (other than a Harley) is lighter. Learn how to ride it slow, you can ride it fast.

i think the biggest adjustment is the weight and the sheer torque it puts out... I think getting used to it is not a problem if you respect that and know your limitations... as with everything else the more you get used to it the better it is.. Low speed is a lot to do with your balance. Biggest challenge usually is backing it out of the garage or if you park it on an incline and have to back it out.

Agree on parking. You have to do some advance thinking when choosing a parking spot. Learned the hard way 2-3 times and had to have the wife give a push from the front...lol. Sorry honey. Now I plan in advance and park so I can get on and pull away.

Hi everyone, I've been riding for 4 years now, with the first year being on a Honda Rebel and the past 3 on a Honda Shadow 750. I'm looking at upgrading to a more powerful bike, and have been enthralled by the Rocket 3. So I'm here to ask if you all think that the massive engine size is too big of a jump for a rider with my modest level of experience? For context, I do like to think of myself as a relatively safe rider.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!
I never rode a R3 but they are torque monsters. I have a Bobber 1200 and it has plenty of power and is much lighter than the Rocket. It really depends on your size and strength if you are tall you probably won't have too many issues but if you are short and loose your balance they are large and difficult to pick up for smaller people. Personally I would go toward a 1200 for a couple years and then go for the really big bike if that's what you want at that point. Also if you are going to carry another person that is a factor to consider.

Hi everyone, I've been riding for 4 years now, with the first year being on a Honda Rebel and the past 3 on a Honda Shadow 750. I'm looking at upgrading to a more powerful bike, and have been enthralled by the Rocket 3. So I'm here to ask if you all think that the massive engine size is too big of a jump for a rider with my modest level of experience? For context, I do like to think of myself as a relatively safe rider.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!
It’s an absolute beast but a lot of fun and far easier to ride than it seems. You don’t notice the size when you’re going …. It’s only manoeuvring it around when stationary that you notice the bulk. I don’t consider myself any great rider and I’ve found it easy to ride, but thrilling.

My R3 was my first bike after a 5 year brake from a Yamaha VS1100. I had no problem getting used to the roadster and very quickly learnt how to handle all that torque. I waited a month before taking pretty pillion out for rides. I found best improvement that made the ride more nimble was Avon Cobra chromes, so much better than stoke Metzler.

The guy I bought my Roadster from several years back, it was his first bike! He put 17,000 miles on it. I think you have enough experience and the right attitude. "Take her easy, Dude."

Back