Rocket 3 for moderately experienced rider?

CKnobby

Standard Bore
Ride
Honda Shadow Spirit
Hi everyone, I've been riding for 4 years now, with the first year being on a Honda Rebel and the past 3 on a Honda Shadow 750. I'm looking at upgrading to a more powerful bike, and have been enthralled by the Rocket 3. So I'm here to ask if you all think that the massive engine size is too big of a jump for a rider with my modest level of experience? For context, I do like to think of myself as a relatively safe rider.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

Hi everyone, I've been riding for 4 years now, with the first year being on a Honda Rebel and the past 3 on a Honda Shadow 750. I'm looking at upgrading to a more powerful bike, and have been enthralled by the Rocket 3. So I'm here to ask if you all think that the massive engine size is too big of a jump for a rider with my modest level of experience? For context, I do like to think of myself as a relatively safe rider.

Having also had a Shadow, I can tell you the R3 is a significantly different beast. Honestly, if you respect the power and ride within your capabilities (which will grow over time on these bikes) you'll be fine... Better than fine .. . You'll be hooked on the torque and power. Above 15mph she's VERY nimble. Below and coming to a stop, proper braking, throttle control in the friction zone and handlebar control is critical with the weight. Note, I have a '14 Touring which is about 1100lbs with me on her.
-MIG

Having also had a Shadow, I can tell you the R3 is a significantly different beast. Honestly, if you respect the power and ride within your capabilities (which will grow over time on these bikes) you'll be fine... Better than fine .. . You'll be hooked on the torque and power. Above 15mph she's VERY nimble. Below and coming to a stop, proper braking, throttle control in the friction zone and handlebar control is critical with the weight. Note, I have a '14 Touring which is about 1100lbs with me on her.
-MIG
Thanks for the reply! While I'd be tempted by the power, I can honestly say I'd have no problem keeping my cool and riding within my current capabilities. The weight is one thing that worries me since my Shadow is only a measly 750lbs with me on it. I imagine that is something I would get used to over time, though.

the older ones u notice the weight u do not have to get much from center till it is beyond holding it.
the new one seems lighter. and is lighter but they also hold the bike more toward the center (upright). the side stand.

I had not ridden a bike for probably 25 years, and then it was a dirt bike, when I bought my Touring. After borrowing my buddies Vespa to take the riding test for my license, and no safety course, I went right to the 16 Rocket, then I bought the 2020 GT. About 80,000 miles, on both bikes, later no problems riding the big motors without any experience. I did ride a lot in very safe uncrowded areas for a couple of months when I started before I graduated to going anywhere anytime. Go for it.

It has a twist grip on the right hand to control the motor. 🤪 :roll:

Just be aware that these bikes get going very fast it very little time. The new models are lighter and handle quite a bit better but are set up for a more sporty riding position.

My plan was to Buy as big a bike as I could afford….. The Rocket R3 was on my radar.
I hadn’t rode a bike in 17- years. Test rode the R3. Just around the dealership. So much traffic, never took it out on the main roads.
I had it delivered the next day.
Go for It.
if you don’t you will regret it.
good luck with your new Triumph Rocket.

i think the biggest adjustment is the weight and the sheer torque it puts out... I think getting used to it is not a problem if you respect that and know your limitations... as with everything else the more you get used to it the better it is.. Low speed is a lot to do with your balance. Biggest challenge usually is backing it out of the garage or if you park it on an incline and have to back it out.

Back