Shock Replacement

Pig9r

Living Legend
I should be getting some Progressive 440's in the next couple of days. Anything in particular as far as install goes? Do I need jack the rear if I do one side at a time?

You will have to jack the rear so you can get the new shocks on. Once you start the process you will find the sweet spot of where the jack has to be so you can slide the shocks on and off without much effort.

The replacement itself is pretty simple so that won't be a big deal for you. I did one side at a time but I suppose you can pull them both off and then put the new ones on together if you like.

I lifted my rear by using a cherry picker(sounds vulgar), hooking onto the frame under the seat. You will see as you lift bike, the rear shocks relax, then you will see them stretch. You want to find the point between relaxed and stretched. Shocks will pop off and new ones on with ease.

Did you get std or HD springs?

Thanks for the info. I got the standard however I went for 12 inch length instead of 12.5. I have a motorcycle jack I guess I will try and adapt something to make it work as I don't have a cherry picker in my barn.:D

I got the standard however I went for 12 inch length instead of 12.5.

Sounds like you are more of a solitary rider so std should work well. 440's are the single best thing I've done to the bike,....a HUGE difference in the ride. From what i remember many who got the heavy duty didn't realize much gain. Too bad cuz suspension is one lacking area on our Rockets...IMHO

Why 12 over 12.5

Just ordered a pair myself but Adam said they only came in 12.5 and didn't say a thing about Standard or Heavy Duty. Is there a big differrence with length or compression?

12.5 inches is the stock length. If you think about it if you put a passenger on the back your rear springs will easily compress to 12 inches or less so a half of an inch in length is not a big issue. The heavy duty springs will be about the same as the stock Triumph springs I would think, except for the fact you have a decent shock controlling things. You probably got the standard. Did they give you a Progressive part number? The preload is very easy to change on the progressives, I don't think you will have an issue there either. They are light years better than the stockers, you will love them :D

No Part Number

Didn't get a part number. Probably should have just for my own edification. I'll call tomorrow and check. I'm thinking my size would probably warrant the HD.....especially when I have a back seat driver on board!;)

Thanks Tomo

P.S. How's the middle finger?

The bleeding has slowed down :mad:... I went for two very short rides this weekend... one over to Brian's house which is about 2 miles away, and every time the front end hit a bump the shock transfered right into that finger. I basically had to ride one handed. I would have never made it to Cassoday....I wouldn't have made it to Metcalf...

Back