Shifter!!! (redux)

RoadVenture

.060 Over
Saturday I took a trailer down to L&D Triumph in Dover to pick up my RIII. I got a call the previous Wednesday that after two weeks it was done. I arrived and took it out for a short ride to check it out and stalled four times in five miles. I returned to the shop and the mechanic took it back inside and performed a "12 minute tune". After that, it seemed to be okay. No stalling and idling consistantly. As part of the repair they had performed the tune update recall and Triumph has a procedure that forces all computer to recognize all the sensors. Sometimes, I am told, that does not work. Hence the required "12 minute tune".

So, back to why it was there in the first place. Way back in April my shifter went floppy. I took the bike down to my local Triumph dealer (Pete's Cycle Baltimore) and they talked to Triumph. Triumph agreed to take care of the repair even though I am two years outside of warranty. Pete's Cycle, on the other hand, refused to do the work. (Isn't there some kind of requirement for Triumph dealers to perform warranty work on Triumph motorcycles?) Anyway, I didn't question it, and called L&D Triumph who took on the job of removing the engine and replacing the bolt that fell out of the shifter linkage inside the engine. FYI............ if this has not happened to your RIII yet, IT WILL. There is no mechanical means of keeping this very necessary bolt from loosening and falling out. It all depends on LOCTITE and the proper application of said LOCTITE. Since humans are prone to error or downright neglect, in the case of my RIII, NO LOCTITE was used on this bolt at the intial assembly of the engine. Triumph, to date, has not redesigned this linkage to include a mechanical lock to keep this bolt from falling out.

What was actually done to my bike was the following:
  1. shifter bolt replaced. Male & flemale threads were cleaned and primed using LOCTITE primer. Then LOCTITE RED was applied and the bolt torqued to 29 newton-meters.
  2. 2nd gear was replaced and the gear that engaged 2nd gear.
  3. lower cam chain guides replaced
  4. lower cam pulley replaced
  5. cam chain adjusters replaced
  6. clutch parts (retainer bolt, several other bolts......... I don't remember)
  7. new clutch springs (higher tension)
  8. fuel level sensor
  9. tune recall
That's about it I think. It looks like Triumph wants to head off any chance of other known problems from cropping up based on the amount of "extra" work they did on my bike. Overall I am very pleased that Triumph stepped up and took ownership of not only the shifter problem I had but also other items that they knew to be problems. And this was all done outside of the normal warranty period to boot.

Say what you will about Triumph quality. I am sold on their willingness to back their product. This kind of service and support will have me leaning towards Triumph for another bike in the future.

Happy endings are always nice to read about and I welcome this type of story more than the complainers who ***** and complain that nothing is being done because they have not approached the problem with the appropriate attitude and assume they are gonna get it and do cause they wear it on their shirt sleeve. I'm sure given the right circumstances most companies will step up to the plate as Triumph does and make good on their product if given the opportunity. Good going RoadVenture, ride her hard, but safe.;)

A study in human nature...

I find it interesting that a post which conveys good news and says good things about Triumph goes almost without comment. Yet another post that describes an unresolved problem (and therefore may be critical of the bike) gets many responses............

I find it interesting that a post which conveys good news and says good things about Triumph goes almost without comment. Yet another post that describes an unresolved problem (and therefore may be critical of the bike) gets many responses............

That's what internet forums do best, perpetuate the negative.

Like I said on the other site,inconsistancy seems to be Triumphs biggest problem.You lucked out RV how many haven't.

Like I said on the other site,inconsistancy seems to be Triumphs biggest problem.You lucked out RV how many haven't.

True statement, he did
"luck out" I'll bet that Peter guy had nothing to do with it. He's out to save triumph money by not doing recalls and much neeeded repairs. My tranny crapped out and they wouldn't fix it even though other bikes had suffered the same breakdown. Also as I paid the $1800 to repair it and they didn't do any change outs of the other repetitious breaking or failing parts in my engine. You got the right dealer that fought for you. A lot of people put the negitive on this fourm concerning TRIUMPH because thats what they get, Negetive. Oh, I was overly diplomatic with them concerning my broken tranny.:mad:

True statement, he did
"luck out" I'll bet that Peter guy had nothing to do with it. He's out to save triumph money by not doing recalls and much neeeded repairs. My tranny crapped out and they wouldn't fix it even though other bikes had suffered the same breakdown. Also as I paid the $1800 to repair it and they didn't do any change outs of the other repetitious breaking or failing parts in my engine. You got the right dealer that fought for you. A lot of people put the negitive on this fourm concerning TRIUMPH because thats what they get, Negetive. Oh, I was overly diplomatic with them concerning my broken tranny.:mad:

I was very happy with what Peter at Triumph Customer Service was willing to do for me. IF, Triumph Warranty was not going to do anything, since I was outside of the warranty period, Peter told me that I should call him back and he would send me all the parts I needed to do the work myself. I believe he would have held to his word and to his word and done so.

Let's talk about my dealer..................... I went to the service manager asking if he could call Triumph on my behalf to try to get the repairs done for no charge to me. I presented the service manager with parts diagrams showing the part that was the problem. I also supplied photographs from this forum showing the problem. I also presented him with documentation shwoing the maintenance history. With this information he talked to the Triumph Warranty people. They agreed to do the job. The dealer, on the otherhand, refused to do the job. I went to another dealer, who DID agree to do the work.

Back